Feb 22, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
Time Magazine’s Sean Gregory has a pretty funny account of U.S. ski darling Lindsey Vonn mocking Tiger Woods’ televised press apology on Friday. Vonn didn’t catch the event live on TV; she walked into an interview room at Whistler just after it had concluded. But witnesses quickly clued her in on what had been said. They then described how Woods hugged several people in the front row of the group that had come to hear him speak, including his mother and a couple of other women. This prompted Vonn to quip:
“They’re like, ‘Yeah, you’re awesome, you go have that sex.’ “
But by the time she walks into a room at the USA House in Whistler for an interview, Woods’ nationally televised statement — they get NBC’s Seattle affiliate up in the Canadian mountains — has ended. “I really want to see that now,” says Vonn, loose and cheery despite wiping out the day before during the super combined event, denying her a chance for a second straight medal.
And like millions of Americans, Vonn can’t help poking fun at Woods’ staged event. When a member of her Vonn-tourage tells her that Woods gave a few friends hugs after ending his statement, she cracks, “They’re like, ‘Yeah, you’re awesome, you go have that sex.’ ” The room breaks into a laugh. Then she describes a skit she would want to perform if asked to host Saturday Night Live: picture Vonn at Woods’ podium, blue backdrop and all. “There’s something you don’t know about me,” Vonn says in a faux solemn, apologetic voice. “Tiger, you’re like my idol, and I too have a sex problem.” More laughter. “That would be freaking funny.”
Vonn was later asked about celebrity sports scrutiny in a post-Tiger Woods world.
“Well, I’m married — to her ski coach, Thomas Vonn, since 2007 — “so I don’t have that problem,” she says. “But, um, I guess he’s married too.” Then she turns serious. “I mean, I guess if you have secrets, you have an issue. I’ve kind of been open about everything.”
Vonn also said that she’d like to host Saturday Night Live.
“I’m hoping for it,” she says. “I’ve got to call [NBC Sports chairman] Dick Ebersol to see if SNL will have me. I have some ideas.”
Hmm, she might make a good Elin Nordegren.
In other news, I just realized that Tiger’s big speech on Friday preempted the first 30 minutes of The View. Uh oh. Those biddies are going to grind him into a fine powder today.
Lindsey Vonn Makes Fun of Tiger Woods Too! [Time]
Lindsey Vonn On Tiger: “You Go Have That Sex” [SportsbyBrooks]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona