Feb 20, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
It can’t be a successful Winter Olympics until you’ve had your first lynx sighting, so here you go. This one is taking the shortcut across the downhill ski track to get to the vending machines, where he hopes they’re not out of snowshoe hares. From the Washington Post:
Tony Thorburn, a 65-year-old Olympic volunteer, has lived near Whistler for 16 years and says such lynx sightings are unusual but becoming more frequent.
“I’ve known people who worked in the bush all their lives and never seen one,” he said. “But in the last few years they’ve shown up here more often.”
Volunteers add that you can also spot black and brown bear in Whistler. Thorburn said coyotes also are common, hunting in packs and targeting pets.
“A lot of people can’t leave their cats out,” he said. “They make a nice little meal for a coyote.”
Later, the lynx agreed to sit down with Bob Costas for an interview.
I had the opportunity to see a lynx (or bobcat, as we call ‘em in Calif.) up close at a wildlife rescue center, and at first glance they look like large housecats. But then you get too close, and they utter this fierce, guttural growl that reminds you, yes, this is actually a compact version of a tiger. If it hadn’t been in a cage, I’m sure it would have ripped my face off.
A lynx gets a taste of Olympic luge and downhill [The Washington Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Boychuk gives Bruins lead in Game 2
- Play Video: Marchand strikes again
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars