Feb 19, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
No sooner had PETA operatives returned from disrupting the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in Manhattan on Tuesday than they turned their attention to another group of pleasant, furry creatures. Here is PETA’s idea of what Vancouver Winter Olympic mascots Miga, Quatchi, and Sumi would look like if they were zombies. With a taste for seal meat. The bloodthirsty trio are on the hunt for harp seals in Newfoundland in this PETA ad parody — the animal rights organization’s way of protesting Canada’s annual seal slaughter. I’d link to the video, but I can’t deal with the graphic nature of real-life seal bashing which is included. I figure you probably can’t either. Which is PETA’s point in showing it, I guess.
Video of Olympic snowboarder and anti-seal bashing advocate Hannah Teeter following the jump.
“The cartoon killing in our ad gives just a hint of the real cruelty carried out against baby harp seals during Canada’s annual slaughter,” said PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman in a statement on their web site.
The commercial seal slaughter is an off-season profit venture for the fishing industry, and it accounts for less than 1 percent of Newfoundland’s economy. Contrary to popular belief, the seal slaughter is not a subsistence activity for native peoples; Inuit sealing accounts for only about 3 percent of the slaughter. Last year’s seal slaughter was the least profitable in recent memory, with a total landed value of a little more than US$1 million. As global markets for seal products disappear, there is no economic justification for allowing the slaughter to continue. Commercial sealing has drawn opposition from world leaders as diverse as President Barack Obama, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, and His Holiness The Dalai Lama.
U.S. Olympic snowboarder and charity panties purveyor Hannah Teeter is totally on board with this, by the way. (Warning: Graphic images in video)
Still no official response to this, however.
Cute mascots are turned into seal-killing monsters in 15-second TV spot [Peta.org]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Rask gives up gift goal
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks
- Play Video: Toews sees the box three times
- Play Video: Reason for optimism after Game 1 loss?
- Play Video: Highlights: Rangers stay alive with OT win