Feb 19, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
So the big Tiger Woods press statement is history; the event’s television broadcast waves at this moment traveling through the ionosphere and headed into deep space. I wonder what, 200 years from now, races from other planets will think when the speech reaches them? Why did the camera cut out at the nine-minute mark, they’ll be wondering? And what’s with Tiger buttoning the top button but not wearing a tie? Earth must truly be a primitive place.
To listen to the broadcast pundits tell it, Tiger’s prepared text was a mixture of Marc Antony and Ich bin ein Berliner. I was less impressed, but then, I’ve never been known for my public speaking. So I thought I’d check out the Twitter machine to see what everyone’s saying about it. I really couldn’t care less what Rick Reilly’s take is on this; I want to hear from the real people who pay Tiger’s salary. Let’s take a look.
A sampling of bloggers, pro athletes and just regular folk, tweeting on the Tiger Woods press event:
* So…. Was that press conference really needed??? — Nick Barnett, 9:22.
* Tiger Woods, you will always be a disgrace and embarrassment to the human race no matter how much you apologize. — LauraDonovanUA, 9:30
* TIGER WOODS POLL: After seeing his statement, do you feel like he was truly remorseful? Did you believe him? — Fox6Sports, 9:30.
* RT @inspiredmag: Tiger Woods Press Conference Draws 683,000 Views on Ustream — Liz2586, 9:33.
* RT @TheOnion: Sports: Tiger Woods Announces Return To Sex — LedFloyd13, 9:35.
* I could almost recite it verbatim now… RT @HuffPostSports: Full transcript of Tiger Woods’ speech. — RUNMGD, 9:36
* RT @alliworthington: Tiger Woods sees shadow, six more weeks of rehab [via @herbgreenberg] — SugarJones, 9:37
* RT @Dameshek: For Tiger coverage, stay tuned to ESPN: The Worldwide Leader in Wildly Inappropriate Sexual Conduct in the Workplace. — AndrewBucholtz, 9:37
* RT @JimNorton: I. AM. TIGER. WOODS. AND. I. AM. SORRY. Jesus Christ. That press conference had the heartfelt sincerity of a hostage video. — Dob23, 9:41
* Ok I’ll say it: tiger woods buttons top button on shirt and wears no tie. @brianlubluban #fail #tigerwoods — JKessen, 9:44
* @TheBigLead Totally stiff, insincere and scripted. “I screwed up. I got caught. And now I need to say these words.” Blah blah blah. — amandarykoff, 9:44
* RT @jseifer: I want Tiger Woods to start his statement with “sup ladies” — Enriquez, 9:46
* RT @CraigyFerg: Today is the birthday of Copernicus. The first man to prove the world does not revolve round Tiger Woods. Happy Birthday Copey. — Robert_Penn, 9:47
* Very telling RT @LoriSchmidt: Just searched the transcript. One word Tiger Woods never used today when discussing his wife and family? Love. — LeeAuer, 9:48
* Tiger Woods may be a great golfer but he is NOT a public speaker. He sounds like a 12 year old giving a book report. — CodyKnitten, 9:48.
Tiger: Sorry for behavior, unsure of return [NBCSports]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team