Feb 18, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
According to a piece today by MSNBC columnist Mike Celzic, the Olympic Village at the Winter Games is one big rabbit hutch, where everyone is flirting with everyone else and naughty shenanigans are occurring every minute. That’s why, according to this Today Show report, Vancouver organizers have had 100,000 condoms airlifted to Vancouver for the Olympics. Will that be enough? Well, according to my calculator app, that’s 14 condoms for each of the 7,000 athletes, coaches, trainers and officials housed in the Games’ two villages. As someone said in a famous movie about a shark, “We’re gonna need a bigger boat.”
Hey, where’s Lindsey Vonn? Keep tabs on her at all times!
The citizens of the village are young, remarkably healthy, and the definition of physically attractive. In such an environment, flirting is as natural as breathing.
“It’s eye candy all the time. Everybody’s checking everybody else out from moment they get there,” recalled Cammi Granato, captain of the powerful U.S. Ice Hockey Team that won gold in Nagano in 1998 and silver in 2002 in Salt Lake City.
The distribution of free condoms at the Olympics goes back at least to 1992 and Barcelona. In 2000, Sydney organizers thought that 70,000 would be enough. They were wrong and had to send out for 20,000 more. Beijing also ordered 100,000 condoms with an Olympic motto: Faster, higher, stronger.
My favorite part of the story is this quote from skier Picabo Street, who won gold in the super-G in Nagano and silver in the downhill in Lillehammer. Olympic athletes’ bodies aren’t so much ready for sex, she says. It’s actually their auras that are horny.
“It’s hundreds of auras, which does lead to a huge movement of energy,” Street told TODAY. “It’s not normal, resting energy; it’s jacked-up, hyped-up, on-the-brink-of-my-dream-coming-true, got-to-get-it, got-to-do-it energy, and it’s there all the time.”
Also, there’s this:
And even in a society of champions, the medals are like magnets. Win a gold and everybody wants to be your friend. Rumor has it that male winners, in particular, have their pick of females.
Cold days, hot nights: Olympic Village secrets [MSNBC Today]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights