Feb 17, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
Because women’s hockey is getting into full swing at the Olympiques d’hiver, (Canada and the U.S. have won their seven matches by a combined score of 77-4, if you haven’t been watching), I thought I’d show you this: A photo circa 1916 (or thereabouts) of the Edmonton Swastikas. I first saw this over at Puck Daddy in 2008, and was reminded of it while perusing a post on the old Boston Braves at SportsbyBrooks, which featured a 1915 photo of the Braves’ Rabbit Maranville wearing a cap with a Swastika on it. Of course, before the German Nazi Party hijacked it prior to World War II, the Swastika had been around for centuries as a symbol of good luck. Even knowing that, this looks a little disquieting.
Swastika is the name of a small residential community in northern Ontario, Canada, approximately 580 kilometres north of Toronto, and 5 kilometres west of Kirkland Lake, The town of Swastika was founded in 1906. Gold was discovered nearby and the Swastika Mining Company was formed in 1908. The government of Ontario attempted to change the town’s name during World War II, but the town resisted and many posted signs “The hell with Hitler. We came up with our name first!”.
In Windsor, Nova Scotia, there was an ice hockey team from 1905 to 1916 named the Swastikas, and their uniforms featured swastika symbols. There were also hockey teams named the Swastikas in Edmonton, Alberta (circa 1916), and Fernie, British Columbia (circa 1922).
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead