Feb 17, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Interesting that Tiger Woods chose Friday at 11 a.m. ET to break his silence and make his statement to the press, that being smack in the middle of the Accenture Match Play Championship. At least we know that he hasn’t lost that competitive fire. Accenture, you see, was one of the first sponsors to drop Woods when word of his sex scandal first came out, so distracting from the event can be considered a bit of payback.
Woods will speak at the clubhouse at the TPC Sawgrass, headquarters of the PGA Tour in Florida. His agent, Mark Steinberg, has stressed that “this is not a press conference,” and he’s right; Woods will not take questions following his statement, and only the Bloomberg and Associated Press wire services have been invited. Steinberg also noted to the press: “As a courtesy, there will be a room made available at a nearby conference center for credentialed reporters to watch his talk on the televised feed.” So not only will there be no questions, but it appears that some or all reporters in attendance won’t even be allowed to watch Woods speak. It’s a glorified press release, really … with Tiger appearing in the room like a Star Wars hologram.
But what is he likely to say?
According to the Mosnar Communications Inc. public relations blog, expect a political PR style apology to his family his fans and his sponsors.
Better late than never, brand Tiger Woods is about the break his silence. The once held spotless reputation now in deep trouble will confront the media on this Friday. I suspect the entire world will be watching and listening. Most likely even President Barack Obama will even tune in.
You should expect Elin to be present during the press conference.
Keep in mind we have been warned that media access will be limited. Did Woods sponsors react too soon? Do you really think Tiger Woods brand can make a full comeback?
Meanwhile, AP’s Doug Ferguson reports that Steinberg has asked the Golf Writers Association of America to pick a small group of reporters to serve as a pool. Steinberg said there would be one pool camera, but it would be available live via satellite.
Tiger Woods To Break Silence At PGA [TMZ]
Tiger Woods to make public apology on Friday [NBCSports]
Sports PR Tiger Woods Upcoming Friday Interview What He Likely Will Say [Mosnar Communications]
Tiger ‘Talk’: Wire Services, 1 Camera, His Writers [Sports by Brooks]
Tiger to give remarks Friday [Tiger Woods.com]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams