Feb 17, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
As you’ve probably heard, PETA crashed the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on Tuesday, proving once again that if you want to get your message out you need to be the biggest bitches in the room. Whether you agree with them or not, you’ll have to admit that the animal rights group knows a thing or two about grabbing headlines. For example, here’s one from today’s Atlanta Journal Constitution: Scottie Sadie wins Westminster after PETA protest. To the right here is one of the two protesters who interrupted Tuesday’s proceedings just as the champion was about to be named and Snausages distributed to the runners-up. The two women were hauled off and charged with criminal trespass, forced to watch Turner and Hooch on an endless loop as they waited to be processed.
PETA decided to up the ante from last year’s protest, in which members dressed in Ku Klux Klan robes. That made perfect sense to PETA spokesman Michael McGraw, who explained the Feb., 2009 protest outside of Madison Square Garden thusly: “The American Kennel Club is trying to create a master race when it comes to pure-bred dogs. It’s a very apt comparison.”
This year’s protest made a little more sense, as a guy dressed as the Grim Reaper stalked outside of the Garden. From The PETA Files:
The Westminster Dog Show aggravates the already dire animal overpopulation crisis and contributes to the deaths of homeless animals by encouraging people to buy purebred dogs from breeders and pet stores.
This year, dedicated PETA supporters gathered outside the dog show to tell passersby that Madison Square Garden should be the final resting place for Westminster–and that keeping shelter dogs out of early graves is as easy as choosing to adopt from a worthy rescue group rather than buying from a breeder.
Commenter on the PETA Files site:
AKC = puppy mills!
I don’t know: without dog shows, we never would have had this. Is there some way we can keep the purebred dogs and just get rid of their owners?
Scottie Sadie wins Westminster after PETA protest [Atlanta Journal Constitution]
Ditch the dog graveyard [The PETA Files]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead