Spyware king crying over getting beaten in men's mogul. Oh boo hoo

Feb 15, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT

Alexandre Bilodeau’s gold medal victory in men’s moguls is the feel-good story of the winter Olympics so far; the first gold won by a Canadian in his home country. I feel like hugging a Mountie. But if you’re a computer user, it’s even more of a glorious result. Bilodeau, you see, beat Australian Dale Begg-Smith, the heavy favorite going into the event, by .17 points for the gold. That would be the same Dale Begg-Smith who is accused of being in league with several of the biggest purveyors of internet spam and spyware on the planet. It’s how he made his fortune, in fact; according to sources such as ZDNet and the Sydney Morning Herald. That face to the right looks very, very punchable to me right now.

Begg-Smith’s camp is complaining that judging shenanigans robbed him of the gold, and if that isn’t an example of karma’s the sublime workings in the universe, I don’t know what is.
From the Vancouver Province, via Sports by Brooks:

An Australian sport official accused judges of awarding inflated scores to Canadian Alex Bilodeau Sunday, allowing him to edge out Dale Begg-Smith for gold in men’s moguls.

“My own opinion is that probably Alex is not capable of a 4.8 or a 4.9 [on his turns], because five is a perfect score,” Geoff Lipshut, the team’s high-performance director, told Queensland’s Courier-Mail.

“Dale had the highest turn points and the highest air points,” he told the newspaper. “Dale skied unbelievable and I don’t think you can fault anything he did. I thought Dale won, but that’s just a gut feel.”

Kind of makes you all warm and fuzzy inside when you consider this 2006 article from the Sydney Morning Herald:

Dale Begg-Smith’s name keeps popping up in all the wrong places, like much of the insidious internet spyware that he has been responsible for peddling and pushing.

The Herald has followed a trail of digital fingerprints scattered over the web which shows Mr. Begg-Smith’s long and rewarding involvement in the distribution of “malicious software” — otherwise known as malware, spyware and adware.

The 21-year-old Olympic gold medallist’s business dealings place him on the murky fringes of the internet where hackers, scammers and spammers stalk their targets.

Malware spammers: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You consorted with their kind, Mr. Begg-Smith, so now reap the whirlwind. I have also sent you a congratulations on your silver medal via email attachment. Feel free to open it.
***
Australian press on Dale Begg-Smith and spyware [ZDNet]
Canada Stole Olympic Gold From Spyware Traitor [SportsbyBrooks]

1. hockeypuck - Feb 15, 2010 at 7:24 PM

the judjing was accurate,the canadian won.

2. hockeypuck - Feb 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

i watched the event and the canadian won,maybe others are better most days.but not that day.

3. hockeypuck - Feb 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM

4. old school - Feb 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I don’t know anything about the sport, however I was impressed by both athletes runs. The best evidence I saw for this was the split screen video run by CTV showing both athletes with identical camera angles. Very cool and easy to compare each skier. As a Canadian I was pumped, however it was very close. (In my uneducated mind) I guess any time you have a judged sport there is room for error. Regardless a fine display by both competitors. Would love to see what media from countries other than Australia and Canada are saying. Will have to check out some NBC and Euro sites I guess.

5. Dee Mirich and the Supremes - Feb 15, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Begg-Smith sent to the spam folder. Sorry, I got nothin’

6. Libservative - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Well, how ironic that you should be complaining about adware, etc, seeing as how I’m obliged to close advertising windows nearly non-stop from YOUR website. MSNBC ain’t necessarily the worst, but it’s one of ‘em.

7. Chunkasaurus - Feb 16, 2010 at 7:31 AM

You’re on the money there, Libservative. I haven’t been able to watch any of MSNBC’s Olympic videos because they’ve all been blocked by my Ad Muncher, along with the adware (doubleclick) that tries to load along with them. Question: Does Dale Begg-Smith do IT for MSNBC in his spare time?

8. KRASH - Feb 17, 2010 at 1:37 AM

With his unsportsmanlike attitude, he has made two countries look bad. Shame on him and his camp. He got gold last time, this time silver, both great accomplishments….revel in the moment, don’t tarnish it. The Canadian and even the bronze winner (USA) were all smiles and waves while Mr. Silver was all pout.
    ps. And Mr. Lipshut should do like his name and keep his L**S**T !!

9. Schmoopy - Feb 17, 2010 at 4:17 AM

You really have it tough, Chunky. What a hard life. There should be a charity telethon just for you.

10. Uplate - Feb 28, 2010 at 4:36 PM

“Punchable” face? Try kissable. He’s smart, gifted, hot, and way more interesting than you’ll ever be.

11. Rick Chandler - Mar 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Thanks for the comment, sir.