Feb 15, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Obviously unimpressed by the prospect of their nation hosting the Winter Olympics, 1,200 University of Alberta students decided to get their third grade on and organize the world’s biggest dodgeball game. Last week’s spectacle broke the unofficial world record of 450 people, set by San Diego State on Sept 5, 2009 (as if you didn’t know). This isn’t that random, actually; dodgeball is big at Canadian universities, and especially big at U of A. Patches O’Houlihan approves.
Video following the jump.
“Dodgeball is huge at Lister. It’s something that this place actually runs on, the energy of it and the [sense of] community,” said Brennan Murphy, external administrator of the Lister Dodgeball League. “We were getting more people out for a regular competition night than is the current world record, so it just seemed natural that we’d try to beat it.”
Murphy went on to say that regular dodgeball nights at the university routinely draw more than 1,200 participants, which is what gave organizers the idea to try and break the record. That’s both sad and inspiring at the same time. Too bad Rip Torn couldn’t have been there.
Here’s video from the San Diego State record attempt in Sept.
The World’s Largest Dodgeball Game [Our Kitchen Sink]
U of A smashes dodgeball record [Express News]
Aztecs Dodge Their Way to World Record [SDSU]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy