Feb 15, 2010, 2:00 PM EST
Okay, the roof collapsed at a Pennsylvania ice rink during a youth hockey tournament on Sunday, but don’t go screaming into the night. Both teams were in their locker rooms at the time, and no one was injured; save for an unfortunate Zamboni, which was the only thing on the ice. The driver got away before disaster struck. Although they had to bring in cadaver dogs to make sure no one was buried under all that debris. As you can see, Rostraver Ice Garden now has a retractable roof, courtesy of Snow Miser.
“We’re in the locker room with the boys and the dads and I threw the kids into the shower area in a single-blocked corner in an effort to protect them,” said Fritz. “There was no time to get out. Luckily, within five seconds, the force of the drop of the ceiling blew our locker room door open and we saw daylight, and that’s when we started carrying the kids out.”
The hockey teams were in the locker room when a 100-by-200-foot section of the roof fell in, and the only person on the ice was the worker who was resurfacing it with a Zamboni, a small vehicle used to clean and smooth the rink’s surface, said Rostraver Central Assistant Chief Justin Shawley. There was confusion soon after the collapse, with people unaccounted for, and authorities wanted to thoroughly search the building before declaring that everyone was safe, he said.
Kim Little, a line cook in the rink’s restaurant, said people inside heard a crack minutes before the roof dropped.
Pa. Ice Rink Roof Collapses During Hockey Tournament [AOL News]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found