Feb 14, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
You know the type: a suave, self-absorbed ladies’ man, wooing women with the same tired old shtick yet it works with alarming consistency; the kind of guy who would steal your college girlfriend – you know, if you could have actually somehow managed to get a girlfriend in college.
I had always assumed that curlers were pretty cool people, and I am sure they are, but U.S. curler Chris Plys is pretty much the physical embodiment of the “don’t be that guy” mantra.
Now, to be fair, it’s not like I know this Chris Plys fella from Adam. I am sure that after meeting him, I would think he’s a pretty cool dude, but a few details that have surfaced about him have rubbed me the wrong way. For one thing, Plys was named Entertainment Weekly‘s “Stud of the Day” for February 13th, which, while not his fault, how he is described just might be:
Plys, an earring-wearing, guitar-playing 22-year-old, has been spotted playing his instrument on an Olympic Village rooftop as well as during curling practice.
All I can think of after reading that is the “what douchebags did to the guitar” bit from Family Guy.
I think that about nails it on the head, right? But like I said, I’m sure he’s a pretty cool dude, it’s just that this came across in a less-than-flattering way. Even more, perhaps I’m just jealous of his success, good looks and his finger-pickin’-good guitar playing.
You know, maybe I should just give the guy a break. Usually there is much more than meets the eye. I wonder if taking a look at his Twitter page could shed some light on the man behind the myth and the so-called Winter Olympics “Stud of the Day”:
“Chris Plys – 2010 USA Olympic Curling team. World Junior Champ. Music Addict. Art/tattoo Addict. Lover”
Lover? What the heck? Lover? Who writes that about himself? Come on, Plys, don’t be that guy. Anything but that. You’re ruining it for all of the other curlers!
Chris Plys is a curler and a lover [Game On!]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte