Feb 12, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
If your native language doesn’t even have a word for snow, chances are you’re not going to be standing on the medal stand in Vancouver this year. But wait, here’s Robel Teklemariam of Ethiopia, who is that nation’s entire Winter Olympic team. A Nordic skier (yep) who is entered in the 15-kilometer race, Teklemariam was the first Ethiopian to compete at a Winter Games in 2006 in Turin, Italy, where he finished 84th. Key quote: “I would have finished even if I had to crawl on my knees.” He figures to do a lot better this go-around, even though he can only train back home on inline skates. Your move, Hollywood.
Video following the jump.
I’ll be in front of my TV rooting wildly for him while wearing my Hannah Teeter underwear. Wait, I didn’t mean to actually type that last part …
Do We Have Cool Runnings 2: Electric Boogaloo? [Deuce of Davenport]
Ones to Know: Robel Teklemariam [New York Times]
U.S. boarder sells panties for charity [NBC Olympics]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found