Feb 12, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
In a move that’s kind of like climbing Mount Rushmore and chiseling the specs off of Teddy Roosevelt, Joe Paterno is ditching his trademark bottle-lensed glasses. At the age of 83 he’s decided on a new look, having undergone eye surgery in January. Now he doesn’t need glasses at all, but will probably wear a set with thinner lenses, just because he feels naked without them. Perhaps he’d been having night terrors in which his house was attached to thousands of balloons, flown west and forced to join the Pac-10.
From Penn State’s student newspaper, the Daily Collegian:
“They are new glasses — I just got an eye exam,” Paterno said Thursday at the Multi-Sport Facility during media day for Centre Volunteers in Medicine (CVIM), which is fielding a team to raise money through the 2010 CVIM Boston Marathon Challenge. “I had trouble reading the last six months. I went down to Philadelphia to the Scheie Eye Institute. The guy said to me, Dr. [Stuart] Fine, who I’ve known for 40 years, ‘I think we can fix that up.’ “
Despite the improvement in Paterno’s eyesight, fans shouldn’t expect the long-time coach to depart from his normal attire and look. Paterno still has the habit of reaching to take off his glasses whenever he puts on a sweater — even when he’s not wearing them.
The surgery occurred virtually a year to the day after the glasses were stolen off of the bronze Joe Paterno statue outside of Beaver Stadium. Perhaps Paterno feared eventual vandalism of the real thing.
Lord only hopes that Tressel’s sweater vest is safe.
Paterno has eye surgery, loses iconic thick-framed specs [The Daily Collegian]
Graphic courtesy of [Totally Looks Like]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found