Feb 12, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
We already know that Super Bowl XLIV drew in excess of 116 million viewers, making it the most heavily watched TV program in U.S. history (blows party whistle). But who cares about that; now the real numbers are in. Neilsen Research, which sent a guy with a lab coat and clipboard to every home in America, today released the ratings for the Super Bowl commercials, and the results may surprise you … especially if you used those breaks to visit the loo. The most-watched ad of the entire game, as you can see above, was one of the seemingly dozens of Doritos commercials — featuring the deranged man dressed in clothes made entirely of Doritos. I imagine that’s how Stephen A. Smith looked on Sunday, only replace Doritos with Cheesy Doodles. And the least-watched ad? You guessed it.
Video following the jump.
The much-ballyhooed, steeped in controversy Focus on the Family spot featuring Tim Tebow and his mother, Pam. That’s the exact opposite of what many figured would happen, as the Tebow ad generated enormous buzz in the two weeks leading to the game. Rumored to feature a heavy-handed anti-abortion message, the commercial — a version of which was leaked two days before the game — turned out to be pretty tame. Pam Tebow talked about her “miracle baby,” and then was inexplicably tackled by her son at the end.
By the time it aired, viewers were evidently already so tired of the controversy that most decided to check out the varieties of party dip and luncheon meats while it was on.
Much of the lack of viewer appeal almost certainly had to do with the time it aired; nine of the bottom 10 commercials were shown before 7 p.m., ET. The second-to-least popular ad? It’s the Snickers/Betty White commercial, which aired immediately before the Tebow spot. Many reviewers chose that ad among their top two or three favorites. The Focus on the Family ad drew an estimated 92,576,680 viewers — how in the world to you calculate that? — while the most popular ad, Doritos: Gym, drew 116,231,920. That commercial aired at 9:30 ET.
Full list can be found here.
Doritos Super Bowl Spot Was the Most-Watched Ad of All Time [Blog.Neilsen.com]
Tim Tebow Commercial Least Watched Ad Of Entire Super Bowl [Huffington Post]
Super Bowl Ad Showdown [MSNBC]
The best and the worst of the Super Bowl ads [MSNBC]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte