Feb 11, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
We all recall the recent controversy surrounding Lindsey Vonn and Sports Illustrated, when the skier posed for the cover of their second-to-most-recent issue, smiling from a downhill tuck pose with her derriere pointing skyward. A couple of online feminist publications accused SI of objectifying women with that cover, and while most disagreed with the criticism, it’s still out there in the atmosphere. But now comes the SI Swimsuit Edition, and inside we see Vonn relaxing in a sauna, sans most of her clothing. For this SI is being challenged by none other than the venerable New York Times. Harvey Araton has been a sports columnist at the paper since 1994, and often writes about female athletes and women’s issues. In addition to other awards, he is, in fact, the winner in the column writing category for the Women’s Sports Foundation journalism awards in 1998. So when he takes a shot at SI for dragging out Vonn in a bikini to sell magazines, it carries a bit more weight.
He’s right, of course; Vonn’s bikini shoot in the magazine doesn’t do anything to advance women’s sports. But SI’s demographics are obvious, and they are in the business of selling magazines. They shouldn’t be expected to appeal to readers across the board. I guess I’m saying that I’m kind of conflicted on this one. Anyway, it’s a conversation worth having, I believe. Also, it was nice of Harvey to provide a link to the bikini shot in his tweet. I hadn’t actually seen it until then.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT …
What you missed while making the most out of blizzard conditions …
* Duke sends North Carolina to 2-8 in conference in a little college hoops rivalry you may have heard of.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Don’t worry; Mark Trail’s Tarzan yell will have all forest creatures dashing to his aid. (Turtles to arrive by Tuesday).
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming