Feb 11, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
OK, to be fair, the makers of this T-shirt have no official affiliation with KU. In fact, the Joe College apparel store in Lawrence, KS, where the shirt at right was produced, has been sued by the University of Kansas in the past for trademark infringement. That said, here’s the sticking point that makes this shirt somewhat offensive: Kansas State basketball coach Frank Martin is of Cuban descent; both his parents were immigrants. And everyone knows that Hispanic people make the best gardeners, right? Joe College owner Larry Sinks obviously figured there would be a market for the shirt on the KU campus; it’s made for Jayhawks fans. So should the KU faithful feel some shame over this? And that lawn on the shirt was allowed to get pretty out of hand, wasn’t it?
In an online poll conducted by the Kansas City Star, 57 percent said the shirt was racist, with 11 percent saying they’d wear one.
UPDATE: Has the shirt been pulled from shelves? Here’s the page where it was formerly available on the Joe College web site.
Would you buy a ‘Frank Martin mows my lawn’ T-shirt? [The Pitch]
Jury finds for KU in Joe-College lawsuit [Lawrence Journal-World]
Does T-shirt jab at K-State coach Frank Martin go too far? [Kansas City Star]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball