Feb 11, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
If you’re looking for something to do on Saturday and you’re in the vicinity of Raymondville, Missouri, why not stop by Golden Hills Trail Rides & Resort for a very special Valentines Day-related event? That’s when KC Wolf, the costumed mascot for the Chiefs, will address middle and high school students at a “True Love Waits” youth rally beginning at 6 p.m. Yep, you read that correctly: KC Wolf will be a guest speaker at an “abstinence only” rally for teens. All of which leads to this great observation by Justin Kendall of the Kansas City news blog The Pitch:
KC Wolf is just in time given that we’re in the middle of prime wolf-mating months.
But KC Wolf does not do this sort of thing for free. According to the Chiefs web site, Dan Meers (the man in wolf’s clothing) charges from $250 (charity events and birthday parties) to $325 (school programs, like the one above, I’m assuming) for an appearance. Or, you could opt for the “Shock & Awe” visit.
“Shock & Awe” visit: $150 — (This is a short 5-10 minute visit to surprise your loved one for a birthday, anniversary or other special occasion.)
This begs several questions, not the least being, should the Chiefs be using the NFL brand to push a hot-button social agenda? And should Meers be charging a fee to do so?
Also, is KC Wolf sending mixed messages? I found this at Chiefs blog Arrowhead Pride, which seems to indicate that Mr. Wolf is a little more of a player than he would have you believe:
Over Valentine’s Day weekend, KC Wolf will make surprise visits … for a price. The Chiefs sent out a release that KC Wolf will be available for Valentine’s Day, a package that includes:
* A surprise visit to your sweetheart’s home or office
* One Red Rose
* Heart shaped box of chocolates
* KC Chiefs Hall of Fame Player Bobble head
* Autographed picture of KC Wolf and a 2009 Chiefs team poster
* KC Wolf Children’s Book or KC Chiefs Cheerleader Calendar
* Souvenir photo of the Occasion
Given the choice of being courted by the Chiefs mascot or abstinence, I choose abstinence.
We leave you with this line from Kendall:
If anyone is used to not scoring, it’s KC Wolf.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found