Feb 10, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
College basketball fans have been trying to distract opposing free throw shooters since the invention of the game itself, with varying degrees of success. The bighead craze has been perfected at Indiana University, and over at Duke, Speedo Guy captivated a nation for a few glorious months in 2003. But none of those have matched the variety and blubbery abandon of Shirtless Bill, the crazed Utah State supporter who has become a cholesterol-soaked legend in the Western Athletic Conference. There seems to be only one real rule with Shirtless Bill: Never not be shirtless. Other than that, he can take many forms. Some say that he’s a big reason the Aggies (8-2, 18-6) are tied for first in the WAC.
The secret to Shirtless Bill’s success is that opponents never know what they’re going to get. He’s been a drag queen, a pirate, a hula dancer and, most recently this past Wednesday vs. Idaho, cupid. Check out this video of Idaho’s Marvin Jefferson trying in vain to block out Bill’s antics in the second half. Clank. Clank. Behold the power of this fully armed and operational Shirtless Bill.
In answer to your next question, yes, Shirtless Bill has his own Facebook page, with 763 fans at last count. With every game and every Super Burrito, the legend of Shirtless Bill continues to grow.
Say Hello to Shirtless Bill: The Crazy Utah State Basketball Fan [That Fan]
You Want Bill [Facebook]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million