Feb 8, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
And now, in lieu of math, we shall have Fight Club, children. Please move your desks to form a circle. Jennifer, would you be so kind as to keep a lookout at the door in case the principal should walk by? Um, in case someone needs stitches, anyone here know how to sew? That was the scene at a Queens elementary school last week, as a 29-year-old instructor and his 43-year-old teacher’s aide are in kind of big trouble for letting two pupils — aged 9 and 10 — “fight out their differences” in the middle of the classroom. The instructor, Joseph Gullotta, was charged with two counts of acting in a manner injurious to a child under 17, and could face up to a year in jail if convicted.
During the brawl, one child reportedly received a blody lip, and the other rammed his head into a desk. One required stitches, but was not allowed to see the school nurse until hours later. Yes, Spartan children must be strong. Future generations in Queens will be safe from any invading Persians
From the New York Post:
“When two fourth-graders became involved in a verbal dispute, their teacher allegedly told one of the students that he should ‘take it out’ on another student,” Queens DA Richard Brown said.
“When parents send their children off to school, their teachers have an obligation to provide a safe environment for them.”
Teacher’s aide Abraham Fox, 43, was in the classroom during the clash, but did nothing to break it up, the DA charged.
Neither student was offered a visit to the school nurse, despite Fox’s observation that the 9-year-old might need stitches, Brown said.
Then out came the schoolbooks for two periods of more traditional instruction before Gullotta finally allowed the younger boy to visit the nurse.
Gullotta allegedly supplied him with a cover story for his injuries: He was to tell the nurse that he dropped a pencil and bashed heads with his classmate as they both bent down to pick it up.
So it’s like the film School of Rock, only Jack Black is an enthusiast of boxing instead of music. My favorite part of the story, even though I don’t know what it means:
Fox was suspended without pay; Gullotta was reassigned to a rubber room.
Teacher was kids’ brawl monitor: DA [New York Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming