TMZ: Woods to return March 22 at Tavistock Cup

Feb 8, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT

We’ve heard this before so don’t get too excited, but Tiger Woods could be back on the links within weeks. TMZ is reporting that Tiger is planning to return to competition at a tourney in his own backyard; the Tavistock Cup in Orlando clubs on March 22-23. Citing a source “who works for the Woods family,” TMZ.com says Woods will use the tournament as a tuneup for the Masters. Last week, the Melbourne Herald Sun reported that Woods was set to make his return at the WGC-Accenture World Match Play Championship on Feb. 17 in Marana, Arizona. But that notion was quickly shot down by Woods’ caddy Steve Williams, who said that those reports “had no truth.”

Of course that’s the same Williams who said that he had no idea that Woods was being unfaithful to his wife.
From the Orlando Sentinel:

Isleworth’s annual showdown against Lake Nona is a semi-private affair, where only a few hundred spectators are invited to walk the fairways with 20 top PGA Tour, LPGA and European Tour pros. Golf Channel televises the event.

Woods spokesman Glenn Greenspan offered no comment on the report when contacted Monday by the Sentinel. Andy Odenbach, Tavistock Cup tournament director, did not respond to calls or e-mails seeking corroboration.

According to the TMZ report, Woods will use the team event as his lone competitive warmup before seeking a fifth Masters title in April.

Meanwhile, Zeta Interactive, a New York digital marketing agency, is showing that for the first time since the Thanksgiving night SUV accident that kicked off the whole saga, Woods’ favorable ratings on the Internet are beginning to climb slightly. Meanwhile, those of his wife, Elin Nordegren, are slipping.
As of Feb. 4, Woods had a 62 percent negative rating (38 percent positive). That’s an improvement from 69 percent negative, 31 percent positive on Jan. 31. Nordegren’s numbers were 77 percent positive, 23 percent negative on Feb. 4, dropping 11 points from Jan. 31.
***
Report: Tiger Woods’ return to golf likely to come at Orlando’s Tavistock Cup [Orlando Sentinel]
Tiger Woods — Plotting Return to Golf [TMZ]

1. Dee Mirich and the Supremes - Feb 10, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Spitted in a cup? Is this a problem in golf?

2. Flash Harry comment on Terry Wood - Feb 10, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Terry Wood Tiger is the present day “God of Golf” like it or not. If you are not a role model for your kids then that is your problem not Tiger’s. Dont try to escape from your responsibilities to your children. You sound like a pretencious golf fan. Tiger is the ultimate competitor with the passion and skills for the game that you only see in great athletes. It’s your perogative if you want to settle for mediocrity and teach that to your kids. When people of color show excellence and passion in sports and because of their excellence and passion they make alot of money somehow they are portrayed as being “arrogant and greedy”. I am dissappointed in our progress. Oh by the way Tiger will always be a role model for my kids when it comes to how to play the game of golf period.

3. Laura - Feb 10, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Why hasn’t anybody mentioned Tiger’s “Ambien” use? As a former Ambien user who suddenly had all kinds of impulse control issues, including agressive and inappropriate sexual advances which were completely uncharacteristic for me, I think this factor should definitely be considered. After taking the drug I sometimes partially remembered events that I had been involved in that completely disgusted and sickened me. For the first time in my life I experienced marital problems, legal problems, and mental health problems. Tiger needs psychological treatment for post-ambien psychosis, not sex addiction therapy. People need to read the side-effects list before venturing on this roller coaster ride from hell, because they may never be able to regain the respect they lost with the world.

4. celery56 - Feb 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Tiger doesn’t owe me or anyone except his wife and family an explanation. You must be one of those people who read crap like the National Inquirer and think it’s news.

5. Flash Harry comment on Terry Wood - Feb 10, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Terry you started your blog by writing “you people”. I wonder just who you were referring to. Could you be more specific?

6. Kimmer - Feb 10, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Tiger needs to embrace his inner black man and go to the next PGA golf event with 7 hot white babes on his arm. Everyone is telling him to chill. Why should he?! His marriage is a shambles. Why should he hold back now of all times? Cuz he wants his wifey to stay? Everyone knows she’s on the next bus outta here as soon as she is eligible for half a billion black dollars! For the kids? That is no reason to stay in a failed marriage. Just ask Dr. Phil. So you go, Tiger!! Embrace your real self, and to h _ _ _ with what all the puritans say.

7. Bandit 392 - Feb 10, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I have yet to read a single comment that describes this situation so allow me to set the bar. Before this exploding cantelope hit the air ways, Mr. Woods was admired for his performance on and off the course. His championships, foundation work, charity work, and family man image all clicked for him and he carefully polished it for the media. Following this incident, which has exposed the true character of the man off the course, he may well continue to attract accolades for his skills on the links (assuming he continues to win), but his carefully crafted image off the course is gone…perhaps for good.

8. ex-hacker - Feb 11, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Josephi- where do you get off thinking that Tiger owes any obe of us an explanation of his private lfe. He he chooses to share his “tails of sex” with us, that is his decision alone. No of our buisness, just like I owe none of you any details of my “interesting” life???? Go find a different venue to spout your puritanical blubbery.

9. busterhack - Feb 11, 2010 at 7:42 AM

So much anger in the underlining of the masses in regard to who’s “right and wrong”. No one owes anyone an explanation about anything anymore!! Go figure.

10. Give me a break - Feb 11, 2010 at 9:32 AM

What laws did he break? What occurred is between him and his family he owes no one any explaination other than his family. Let he who has not sin cast the first stone. I take it you are sinless?

11. Tiger Fan - Feb 11, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I think everyone has a different opinion based on what Tiger means to them and that is why it takes on a professional or personal tone. Myself, I believe he owes us nothing. Just a healthy return to the sport that HE has made so popular to the millions who would otherwise never have taken up the game or considered watching it on TV.
    He is the reason why sponsership money is so high. I also believe there will be no problem filling the gaps of sponsors that jumped ship. As for his place in the history books. You can bet good money he will be there with all the greats. No steriod use, no gambling, no on the course temper tantrums, etc… He’s only 33 and look at his acheivements. What will they be by the time he hits the senior tour? WOW!!!

12. paul - Feb 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM

JUDGE NOT LEAST YE BE JUDGED!

13. SLP - Feb 11, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I went on the Ambien website and found no mention of sexual aggression side effects. However, I then typed in “Ambien and sexual side effects’ on google and found hundreds of posts by people in all walks of life who have experienced this just as Laura mentions in her post. These posts were made prior to Tiger’s exploits coming to light. I certainly think Tiger needs to be treated for Ambien addiction. I think Ambien needs to come clean about this particularly pervasive side effect. I think when the side effects of a pill can destroy your life it should be listed on the SIDE EFFECTS!!!

14. Scooter - Feb 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM

flash harry – I would never diminish Woods’ accomplishments but in fact he has yet to surpass Jack Nicklaus’ on course records and certainly Jack’s golf course design business is one of the finest examples of an athlete using his expertise after his playing days are over. Let’s leave Jack out of it eh?

15. Sonja - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM

As far as I can see it, he has cheated on his wife-it is their personal battle and has absolutely nothing to do with the game of golf. It is unfortunate that people put people in such high and unrealistic platforms, and I’m sure Tiger did not set out to be the poster child for golf, or did he aspire to be a role model, I mean he is a person, he has issues, he’s just a richer version of you and me …he simply wanted to be the best at golf, which is what he attained-as for the rest, well frankly it’s none of our business….I would expect nothing less from a person in his standing….