Feb 8, 2010, 8:00 PM EDT
We’ve heard this before so don’t get too excited, but Tiger Woods could be back on the links within weeks. TMZ is reporting that Tiger is planning to return to competition at a tourney in his own backyard; the Tavistock Cup in Orlando clubs on March 22-23. Citing a source “who works for the Woods family,” TMZ.com says Woods will use the tournament as a tuneup for the Masters. Last week, the Melbourne Herald Sun reported that Woods was set to make his return at the WGC-Accenture World Match Play Championship on Feb. 17 in Marana, Arizona. But that notion was quickly shot down by Woods’ caddy Steve Williams, who said that those reports “had no truth.”
Of course that’s the same Williams who said that he had no idea that Woods was being unfaithful to his wife.
From the Orlando Sentinel:
Isleworth’s annual showdown against Lake Nona is a semi-private affair, where only a few hundred spectators are invited to walk the fairways with 20 top PGA Tour, LPGA and European Tour pros. Golf Channel televises the event.
Woods spokesman Glenn Greenspan offered no comment on the report when contacted Monday by the Sentinel. Andy Odenbach, Tavistock Cup tournament director, did not respond to calls or e-mails seeking corroboration.
According to the TMZ report, Woods will use the team event as his lone competitive warmup before seeking a fifth Masters title in April.
Meanwhile, Zeta Interactive, a New York digital marketing agency, is showing that for the first time since the Thanksgiving night SUV accident that kicked off the whole saga, Woods’ favorable ratings on the Internet are beginning to climb slightly. Meanwhile, those of his wife, Elin Nordegren, are slipping.
As of Feb. 4, Woods had a 62 percent negative rating (38 percent positive). That’s an improvement from 69 percent negative, 31 percent positive on Jan. 31. Nordegren’s numbers were 77 percent positive, 23 percent negative on Feb. 4, dropping 11 points from Jan. 31.
Report: Tiger Woods’ return to golf likely to come at Orlando’s Tavistock Cup [Orlando Sentinel]
Tiger Woods — Plotting Return to Golf [TMZ]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- Play Video: Spurs take a commanding 2-0 lead
- Play Video: Vikings enhance home-field advantage
- Play Video: An early whistle takes goal away from Kings
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks even series with Kings
- Play Video: Kerr: LeBron vs. Jordan comes down to rings
- Play Video: Dustin Brown shaken up after collision