Feb 6, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Many of you likely recall the head-scratching tale of one Cameron Pettigrew, a 27-year-old Grapevine, Texas resident who was unceremoniously fired from his job at Fidelity Investments last October after his superiors intercepted an instant message regarding Trent Edwards related to a fantasy football league.
Get it? Trent Edwards? Intercepted? That’s gold, my friends. Score one for Weed! Okay, okay, that was weaksauce.
Anyhoo, at least we can all feel a bit better about Pettigrew’s unfortunate situation because the notoriety he received as a result of his termination resulted in a free trip to Miami for the Super Bowl.
The unusual firing made headlines, and the story attracted the attention of Dustin Ashby, commissioner of the World Championship of Fantasy Football league. That league paid for Pettigrew’s promotional trip to Florida, and waived his $1,000 entry fee to the league’s 2010 Main Event draft in Las Vegas.
Ashby wouldn’t say whether the league had a ticket for Pettigrew to attend the Super Bowl game.
Wait, what’s that? They fly him down to Florida for Super Bowl week but don’t even have the decency to get him a ticket for the game? That’s the ultimate hose job if you ask me. I’m not saying a free trip to Miami is something sneeze at just because a guy didn’t adhere to an admittedly shortsighted and lame company policy banning gambling, but really?
Considering the facts surrounding what I would call his unfair termination – unlike me the last couple of times I have been escorted off the premises of my place of employment, he was still wearing his pants – I hope Mr. Pettigrew is at least enjoying his time in Miami. And if for some reason he doesn’t end up with a ticket for the game, I at least hope the powers-that-be that flew him in for the festivities didn’t book his flight back to Texas to occur during the game. You know, because he would miss all of those hilarious commercials and stuff.
NFL fan goes from fantasy to nightmare to dream [The Fabulous Forum]
previously at Out of Bounds: Investment firm fires employees for playing fantasy football
Guy who was fired for fantasy football speaks out
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Spurs can clinch title vs. Heat in Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'