Girls high school hoops coach resigns after launching f-bomb barrage at players

Feb 5, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT

Indiana basketball and f-bombs just seem to go together, don’t they? We are, after all, coming up on the 25-year anniversary of Bobby Knight’s famous tirade at his Indiana players following a practice in 1986. (Video, with NSFW language, following the jump). To be fair, an f-word flogging by Knight was probably an hourly occurrence at Indiana and Texas Tech. But when a high school girls basketball coach lets some f-words fly freely into the atmosphere, it garners a bit more controversy.
Delta High School (Muncie, IN) girls basketball coach Liz Honegger resigned last week, one day after “spewing an F-word laced diatribe to her team” following a game. Heavens!

One of her players reported the profanity barrage to her parents, and seven other players confirmed that the coach was apparently trying to recreate Alec Baldwin’s scene in Glengary Glen Ross. “Coffee is for closers!”
Should a high school coach be fired for swearing at a player in the locker room? If so, would the country soon run out of high school coaches?

The situation boiled over three weeks later after a Jan. 27 home game against Mount Vernon. Farmer alleges that Honegger verbally abused his daughter, sophomore player Alicia Farmer, the team’s leading scorer, with F-word outbursts in the locker room.

“My daughter was being picked on by (Honegger),” Steve Farmer said. “If that makes her stronger as an athlete, I’m OK with that. But in the last week or two, profanity was being directed at (Alicia Farmer) and about her parents.

“I have personally confirmed that through seven … players on the team. We only found out about it because (other parents) were apologizing to me and my wife.”

Farmer also alleged in an e-mail to Daugherty that Honegger said to her team after the Jan. 27 game: “F— Delta. Who cares about it, anyway? You think it means anything to me?”

We don’t know exactly what Honegger said to her players, but one can only hope it was half as glorious as this:
Language NSFW.

Also NSFW language:

***
Delta girls basketball coach resigns after F-bomb barrage [Muncie Star Press]

1. BC - Feb 5, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Another T-Shirt shot? Keep ‘em coming!

2. LR - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:02 PM

When you play like crap your treated like crap! Maybe they need to try out for the Cheerleading Squad.

3. Frank - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM

With today’s parents why would anyone coach at the high school or even college level (thank you Craig James). We are so worried about feelings.

4. Jeff Jefferson - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:11 PM

“My daughter was being picked on by (Honegger),” Steve Farmer said.
    Get a grip Farmer, it’s GIRLS’ basketball. It’s not like anyone other than the parents ever see a game anyway.

5. Roy - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Dropping the F-bomb now and then is different from doing it to berate a player. I am a coach, I would not resign for using the f-bomb. I would resign if I lost self control and verbally berated a kid using it. If you berate a kid these days you better be in the right and you better cover your butt when you do it.

6. Tom - Feb 5, 2010 at 5:52 PM

when did it become appropriate to use the F-bomb around kids in any situation. i am a retired high school coach and athlectic director, and i been around coaches that swear alot and alot that do not, and when i became athlectic director, every coach was informed personally about my feelings of swearing around students, and if they did it, they were immediately reprimanded or fired. I would not tolerate coaches swearing around my kids andmore than i would tolerate it from a classroom teach, or for that matter any other situation.

7. teresa - Feb 6, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I work with high school kids and it’s hard enough to get them to stop swearing in class. They hear those words enough from peers, family, and on TV (supposedly bleeped out) They don’t need to hear it from the basketball coach, who works for the school district and is supposed to be role model; not a bully.

8. Celeste - Feb 6, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I don’t even know how they can get teachers now-a-days. You look at a student wrong and you’re crucified in news media. It doesn’t even matter what the truth is anymore as long as the child gets their way.

9. Mike - Feb 6, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Two words: Coach Wooden
    A few more words for those of you willing to sacrifice decency and dignity: 10 NCAA National Championships

10. DA - Feb 6, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Swearing is not appropriate in any situation when dealing with young people. We, the adults, are supposed to set the example and let them know in no uncertain terms that swearing is not acceptable. Period. I don’t care if “everybody does it.” It is time to take a stand and say, no, everyone doesn’t do it, there is a better way to get one’s point across and to show our youth how to effectively communicate, even when emotions run high. That is teaching.

11. Herman Cabido - Feb 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Wow! Even if it’s not perfect, I’m excited abut this. Thanks and congrats!