Feb 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
Uncool Runnings, mon. Hard to believe it’s been 22 years since the first Jamaican bobsled team burst onto the scene, at the 1988 Calgary Games. But sadly, there will be no Jamaican team in Vancouver this year. Did not qualify. Not yours. But to lift your spirits following the jump … look! It’s the starting lineups for the Puppy Bowl!
Jamaican Bobsled Team Won’t Be In Vancouver. Sadly, one of the best stories in Olympic history won’t have another chapter written this winter. The Jamaican bobsled team has failed to qualify for this month’s Olympics. [Rumors & Rants]
* Awww … Puppy Bowl starting lineup! This Sunday, Animal Planet will once again air its Super Bowl halftime tradition, the Puppy Bowl (Puppy Bowl VI, to be specific). I admit, I’m disappointed that the puppies don’t wear uniforms or play an actual game of football, but it’s pretty hard to not be affected by a bunch of adorable puppies playing together. [Warming Glow]
* Yeah, This Seems Like the Perfect Time for a Nap. That’s Brazilian TV commentator Batista, and that’s him fainting live on the air. It happened yesterday at the Gremio v. Sao Luiz match. It’s pretty awesome to watch a guy’s eyes roll into the back of his head right before he loses consciousness. Apparently it was rather hot there yesterday. Brazil’s weather is our entertainment. [Unprofessional Foul]
* Tim Tebow just got owned. “I gather that Tim Tebow is extremely good at football. That’s just as well, for he certainly isn’t very good at thinking.” — Richard Dawkins (Former Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford; author of “The God Delusion” and “The Greatest Show on Earth”.) [Deuce of Davenport]
* Lenny Dykstra to Star in ‘Moneyball’. So perhaps “star” isn’t the right word but Lenny Dykstra will play himself in the upcoming movie version of Michael Lewis’ Moneyball. The big names in the flick are Brad Pitt as Billy Beane alongside Comedy Central’s Demetri Martin as longtime front office man Paul DePodesta. [The 700 Level]
Got blog items? Send ‘em to Rickchand@gmail.com. Thanks!
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found