Feb 4, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
The most controversial Super Bowl commercial never seen continues to make waves at this hour, as a nation debates the wisdom of CBS agreeing to air an anti-abortion message featuring former Florida quarterback Tim Tebow and funded by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family. Since the ad won’t run until Sunday, Planned Parenthood has launched a preemptive strike, with a commercial of their own. It won’t run during the Super Bowl, of course, but then they didn’t have to shell out $2.5 million either.
The group released an online public service announcement with former NFL player Sean James and Olympic gold medalist Al Joyner directly addressing the Tebow spot. Video following the jump.
From USA Today:
Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards issued a statement Wednesday saying the group “respects the ability of every woman,” including Pam Tebow, “to make important personal medical decisions for herself and her family.” But if Focus on the Family has its way, “millions of women would no longer be able to make important personal medical decisions for themselves and their families when it comes to abortion,” she said.
Planned Parenthood has not bought any commercial time to air the PSA opposite the Tebow spot during CBS’ telecast of the game between Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints, said spokesman Sebastian Perez-Ferreiro.
“We feel the money is better spent with our affiliates at their health centers,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Tim Tebow Super Bowl ad parodies have arrived, and as you have probably guessed, most are too offensive to show here … or anywhere, really. Except perhaps on a pirate ship. Here’s one I think I can sneak in, but be warned; there’s some NSFW language toward the end.
Planned Parenthood responds to Tim Tebow Super Bowl ad [USA Today]
Tim Tebow Super Bowl ad parody [Bareknucks]
Factions continue to bicker over Tebow Super Bowl ad [Out of Bounds]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte