Feb 4, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Evidently pleased with the response he got last week to his criticism of Tiger Woods, creaky, onion-belted golf legend Tom Watson is taking his act on the road. In the United Arab Emirates for the Dubai Desert Classic, Watson on Wednesday let loose on Woods for the second time in six days, saying that his behavior on and off the course leaves a lot to be desired. Key quote: “I feel that he has not carried the same stature that other great players that have come along like Jack [Nicklaus], Arnold [Palmer], Byron Nelson, the Hogans, in the sense that there was language and club throwing on the golf course.”
“Its your tee time, Mr. Watson.”
“Wait, Tiger also has bad breath! (is carried off by officials) Wait, I’m not done talking about Tiger!”
Watson made waves last week when, during an interview with an NBC Kansas City TV affiliate, he touched briefly on Tiger’s infidelities and behavior on the course, saying that Woods needed “to show some humility.” On Wednesday he expanded on those themes.
“I’ll let the cat out of the bag,” Watson said ahead of the Dubai Desert Classic. “Tiger has to take ownership of what he has done. He must get his personal life in order. I think that’s what he’s trying to do. And when he comes back he has to show some humility to the public.
“I would come out and I would do an interview with somebody and say, ‘You know what? I screwed up. And I admit it. I am going to try to change. I am trying to change. I want my wife and family back.”
Watson then gave a critique on Woods’ course etiquette.
“I feel that he has not carried the same stature that other great players that have come along like Jack [Nicklaus], Arnold [Palmer], Byron Nelson, the Hogans, in the sense that there was language and club throwing on the golf course,” Watson said. “You can grant that of a young person that has not been out here for a while. But I think he needs to clean up his act and show the respect for the game that other people before him have shown.”
According to at least one source, former PGA champ Bob Rosburg, who was quoted in the book Wicked Game: Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods and the Story of Modern Golf, comparing Woods to Palmer may have been a mistake. (See page 96).
Watson: Tiger should ‘clean up his act’ [ESPN]
Tom Watson to Tiger: Clean Up Your Act [CBS News]
Tom Watson tees off on Tiger Woods: ‘He needs to show some humility to the public’ [Out of Bounds]
Watson: Tiger Lacks ‘Stature’ Of Palmer, Nicklaus [SportsbyBrooks]
Tiger Woods timeline [NBCSports]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury