Feb 2, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Chandler High School (Arizona) varsity boys basketball coach Mike Ellsworth was suspended last week after allegedly distributing a flier with the words “Chandler Quitters,” on which he listed the names of four players who recently quit the team. (On the back was an ad for the high school’s winter stage production of Noises Off). I mention this here because of the ironic personal significance: Chandler’s Quitters is also the name of my bowling team.
A student who is a friend of one of the players who quit the team snapped a photo on his cell phone of the flier after seeing it in the boys’ locker room. “Chandler’s Quitters,” it began and then listed the names of four players. “Don’t Be One of Them.”
And so once again another person tragically falls victim to social technology. If you’re going to act like the instructor of the bad guy dojo in The Karate Kid, do not leave a paper trail, coaches. Why do I have to keep explaining this?
From the Arizona Republic:
Ellsworth, a Spanish teacher, neither taught Friday nor coached the Chandler High basketball game against Mesa High. “Obviously we can’t discuss it because it’s a personnel issue,” Chandler Unified School District spokesman Terry Locke said.
In Spanish I believe that would be: Usted esta totalmente fuera de un trabajo y pronto trabajara en Taco Bell. (You are totally out of a job and will soon be working at Taco Bell).
You sully the illustrious name of Chandler, you reap the whirlwind, friend.
Chandler Basketball Coach Suspended Following ‘Chandler Quitters’ Flyer [MyFoxPhoenix]
Chandler High School varsity basketball coach suspended [Arizona Republic]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Rask gives up gift goal
- Play Video: Father of the year catches foul ball
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Toews sees the box three times
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks
- Play Video: Highlights: Rangers stay alive with OT win