Feb 2, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Happy Groundhog’s Day, everyone! This is just our way of saying that you won’t be getting any sleep tonight. If nothing else, this truTV Super Bowl commercial proves beyond a doubt that CBS has only the most feeble, tenuous of grasps on reality, and should be shut down and retooled immediately. In the ad, “Punxsutawney Polamalu” is torn from his burrow and sees his shadow, thus insuring six more weeks of NFL football. They turn down the Mancrunch.com ad, and approve this? I think you’ll agree that mini Polamalu is much more horrifying than a stadium full of kissing men. And the actual commercial is even more disturbing than this photo.
Video following the jump.
From the truTV press release:
In the ad, Troy plays the role of “Punxsutawney Polamalu.” After he sees his shadow, a proclamation of six more weeks of football is declared with truTV’s upcoming series NFL FULL CONTACT. “There are a lot of NFL stars, but only Troy was a perfect fit for this spot,” said Marc Juris, executive vice president and general manager of truTV/In Session.. “You’ll see why when you watch the ad.”
You are quite disturbed, Mr. Juris.
Meanwhile, CBS rejected this awesome Electronic Arts commercial for Dante’s Inferno, presumably because of the tag line “Go To Hell.” EA is changing the line to “Hell Awaits” to get it on during the Super Bowl.
UPDATE: The real Punxsutawney Phil says …
Punxsutawney Polamalu Will Haunt Your Dreams, Make Your Blood Run Cold [Sportress of Blogitude]
truTV Unveils Super Bowl Spot with Troy Polamalu [TruTV]
Mini Polamalu Is Horrifying [Pittsburgh Sports and Mini Ponies]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte