Jan 31, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
An-incredibly-in-shape-for-a-47-year-old Herschel Walker won his debut MMA fight, beating some guy named Greg Nagy at Strikeforce: Miami Saturday night.
Not being a great mixed martial arts mind, I am hesitant to confidently say that this Nagy fella was a patsy, a pushover, a stooge or even a schmuck (thanks, Thesaurus.com!), but the guy is Hungarian, for crying out loud! What’s a Hungarian, anyway? Sounds like a made up nationality to me, but then again, geology was never one of my strong subjects.
Walker finished off Nagy in the third round after raining blows upon the harried Hungarian like Frank Costanza fighting over a doll for George (it was some kind of doll, good sir). After witnessing the barrage of punches, referee Troy Waugh called the fight.
Overall, Herschel was pleased with his debut performance, and credited his trainers for getting him well-prepared for the fight.
“The experience was exciting. This is the hardest thing I’ve ever done.”
“They’re the ones that got me here. We sparred three days a week to get me ready.”
Good for Herschel Walker. From being a Heisman Trophy winner with the Georgia Bulldogs, a stint in the USFL and a semi-productive career in the NFL, Walker’s life after football was a long, meandering journey. Trying out for the U.S. boblsed team, an appearance on Celebrity Apprentice and his previously hidden but now public battle with multiple personality disorder, Herschel has had his share of setbacks, but it’s good to see things going well for the old man.
Seriously, 47-years-old? Sweet mercy, does that make me want to take a good, hard look at myself in the mirror – not that I will. Either way, I am a disgrace, a fraud, an abasement. Thesaurus.com. It truly is the gift that keeps on giving. Although I have no idea how the substructure of a building has anything to do with being embarrassed about what kind of shape I am in. I guess entomology isn’t one of my strong suits, either.
Herschel Walker wins MMA debut [NBC/AP]
After football, track, bobsledding and ballet, Herschel Walker tackles MMA [The Philadelphia Inquirer]
Why I Selected Herschel Walker for The Celebrity Apprentice [Trump University]
Herschel Walker reveals many sides of himself [CNN]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte