Jan 30, 2010, 9:05 AM EDT
It’s always hard to say goodbye, especially with the restriction of a LAP-BAND® clasped around your stomach.
After rounds of 79 and 71 at the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines, a frustrated John Daly told a Golf Channel producer that he is “done” playing professional golf.
It is profoundly disappointing to consider that Daly’s up-and-down career may end not with a bang (of a golf ball exploding off his driver), but a whimper.
While being interviewed in the Torrey Pines parking lot after his round Friday for an upcoming reality show for the Golf Channel, entitled Being John Daly (co-starring John Cusack?), Daly’s disappointment was palatable and it seems he has had just about enough of his middling play and inconsistent golf game, saying, “I’m done. Just can’t play like I used to…I’m tired of embarrassing myself.”
In light of the many transgressions – both on and off the course – Daly has made during his professional career, the fact that he is finally tired of embarrassing himself with his below average game should be taken as legitimate evidence that he may be close to giving it up.
Further, Daly posted the following two-part message on his Facebook page early Saturday morning:
“To ALL my Fans—my financial situation is putting me where I cannot focus on my game, I’m putting too much pressure on myself, the few sponsors that I have are great but it’s not getting me thru these times–,” the first part of the message read.
He continued: “i want to thank my fans throughout all these years & I don’t like to continue to embarass myself– maybe my mind may change down the road but right now i don’t have the money to be on the tour. My game has never been the same since my rib injury during the Honda Classic in 2007. God Bless! JD”
Well, if it was on Facebook, it has got to be true. I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t want to live in a world where you can’t believe everything you read on the internet.
The news that Daly’s career may in fact be over should be met with great sadness. There has never been – and likely never will be – a character as colorful (literally, even) on the PGA Tour.
If I were Daly, I would take some time to cool off after a miserable round before making such a monumental decision. The world of professional golf needs a character like John Daly now more than ever. Do you know how many times I have said to myself, “Screw this. I am never playing this stupid game again” while I’m ankle-deep in a water hazard fishing out my driver?
The dang thing slipped right out of my hand, I swear. Sure, it was well after I swung the club and let loose a string of profanities, but still.
Yeah, I guess I could use some new grips. Those would be nice. Maybe that’s all John Daly needs, too.
Daly: ‘Tired of embarrassing myself’ [ESPN]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury