Jan 29, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Opinions on Tiger Woods come cheaply these days; who doesn’t have a take on this mess? His peers on the PGA Tour have been less chatty, however; and those who have ventured a few syllables have shown general solidarity. But no one figured on the venerable Tom Watson, unlikely second-place finisher at the 2009 British Open despite being 59; which is older than many trees. When asked when he thought Tiger would return to golf, Watson could have taken a mulligan. Instead, he took a couple of swipes at the world’s favorite tabloid sensation, admonishing Woods for a variety of misbehaviors. And suddenly a coma-inducing interview turned interesting.
Video following the jump.
Watson talked with NBC affiliate KSHB-TV from his home in Kansas City, and toward the end of the interview was asked when he thought Tiger would return to the links.
“He will be back at some point this year. But it’s really up to Tiger to get his personal life in order, and his golf is really secondary. It’s bad for our game. It’s something he needs to get control of and a handle on and make some amends and show some humility to the public when he comes back.
“His swearing and his club throwing, that should end. That’s not part of what we want to project as far as the professional golf tour is concerned.”
Here’s a link to the rather lengthy video interview with Watson. Scroll to the 18:50 mark for the Tiger comments.
Here’s a shorter version.
Of course its debatable that Tiger’s actions — both on and off the course — have been “bad for golf.” I have a feeling that, if and when he comes back, attendance and television ratings will go through the roof. Watson should have said “bad for golf’s image,” I suppose. Hey, when you’re nearly 60, self censorship isn’t that important. Agree with him or not, it’s refreshing to hear someone say what he’s really thinking.
Tom Watson Chides Tiger For Scandal, Swearing [SportsbyBrooks]
Tom Watson expects better from Tiger [The Golf Channel]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Lukas: 'I get paid to spoil dreams'