Jan 28, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
Welcome to Woodward Field at Eastern Washington University, where I hear that they’re planning to install a new … Oh my Lord, it burns! Is there a certified eyewash station on campus?!
Having looked on enviously for years at Bosie State’s blue turf — the blinding, confusing jewel of the Western Athletic Conference — Eastern Washington University (of the Big Sky) decided to do something about it. I can only imagine the reaction at the athletic department meeting when someone stood up and declared: “Screw everything, we’re going with a red field, b******!”
Here’s the best part of this story: EWU football coach Beau Baldwin said the red field will actually help with recruiting.
“It’s huge for recruiting because potential student-athletes can see the progress we are making and the positive direction of our program,” Baldwin said. “With all the different events that can take place at Woodward Field and a stronger game-day experience, it’s bound to bring more exposure to our program. We already feel proud about the great things we are doing, but hopefully this project will help us be even bigger and better.”
Former EWU standout Michael Roos, now playing for the Tennessee Titans, has pledged $500,000 toward the “Red Turf Project.” The University hopes to have the field installed for the upcoming season. Field nicknames, anyone?
Eastern Washington literally seeing red over new turf [Dr. Saturday]
Boise State’s blue turf getting a new distant cousin [Idaho Statesman]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found