Jan 28, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
We’ve heard about the controversial Super Bowl commercial that CBS has agreed to air; the anti-abortion spot featuring Tim Tebow and funded by James Dobson’s religious conservative organization, Focus on the Family. But what about the commercials the network is turning down? One is an ad for GoDaddy.com, in which a retired football player “finds his feminine side” and launches a lingerie company. A pro football player who appears to be gay? Not cool, CBS appears to be saying.
But the network is reportedly still considering a Super Bowl ad for ManCrunch.com, a dating site specifically for gay men. The ad features two men making out, and CBS has been involved in “days of deliberations” on whether to run it, says Fox News.com.
Video (of the GoDaddy ad) following the jump.
After days of deliberations on whether to run a controversial Super Bowl ad from gay dating site ManCrunch.com, CBS has not yet reached a decision.
The 30-second spot shows two men excitedly watching the game, before their hands brush as they both reach into a bowl of chips. Suddenly, the two begin making out, much to the shock of a guy sitting close by.
ManCrunch officials said they believe CBS has no intention of airing a commercial for their gay dating service, “but do not want to officially ‘reject’ the spot out of fear there may be a backlash from gay advocacy groups.”
Yet the following commercial has already been rejected by CBS:
So to recap: An anti-abortion ad funded by the virulent anti-gay religious organization Focus on the Family gets the nod, but a spot featuring an effeminate former football player is rejected. And on top of that, an ad for a gay men’s dating service seems to be DOA (if CBS was even really considering it at all. I have my doubts the story is even real).
At least we know where CBS stands on the social issues of the day. But now we see the downside of a two-week interval between the league championship games and the Super Bowl; it gives groups plenty of time to organize protests over CBS’ commercial policies.
I’m going to have to throw the challenge flag on these decisions, CBS. You’ve shown shocking, capricious inconsistency. What? Challenges in the final two minutes of a blog post have to come from the booth? Oh no you din’t! (finger snap) Uh, uhhhh!
CBS Considering Airing Gay Dating Site Ad During Super Bowl [Fox News]
Factions continue to bicker over Tebow Super Bowl ad [Out of Bounds]
Go Daddy ad rejected for Super Bowl [NBCSports]
Fox News: CBS May Air Gay Male Super Bowl Ad [SportsbyBrooks]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming