Jan 28, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Zachariah Blott of Empty the Bench has a great piece up today about how the refs are evidently letting LeBron James fly first class, foul-wise, while the rest of the league languishes in coach. Noticing a distinct lack of whistle whenever LeBron was guarding someone, Blott crunched the numbers and found that, indeed, Bron-Bron only collects an average of 1.8 fouls per game, or roughly 50 percent less than the average NBA player. When it comes to the refs, Brony is indeed the King: Nine of the top 10 scorers in the league collectively average 2.7 fouls per. Blott writes:
And this isn’t the first time he’s been in the referee’s good graces to this degree. Last year, James averaged 1.7 fouls per. Going backwards from there, you have 2.2, then 2.2, then 2.3, then 1.8, then 1.9… then he was at his high-school prom. Not only is 2.3 fouls per the worst of LeBron’s career, it actually marks the best in the careers of both Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant.
Is this Tim Donaghy revisited, asks SportsbyBrooks? Not sure about that, but Blott goes on to compare LeBron’s foul numbers with those of past greats, such as Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan, and the results are quite interesting. Bottom line, the refs, and the NBA, have some ‘splainin’ to do.
I hold the world but as the world, Gratiano; A stage where every man must play a part, and Thursday is a sad one.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT …
What you missed while enjoying the refreshing, thirst-quenching taste of Stalin …
* PETA proposes robot groundhog replace the real thing on Groundhog Day. This idea of course goes over very well.
* This just in: Basestealing at Shea Stadium now punishable by 30 days in jail, and/or a $1,000 fine.
* Sports Pickle: All-white hockey league quite popular.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Nothing more annoying than a talking duck that refuses to paddle.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte