Jan 28, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Beside earthquakes and an abundance of professional sports franchises that tend to suck, one of the great drawbacks to living in the San Francisco Bay Area is all the furries. These are the folks whose hobby it is to dress as their favorite animal — be it a fox, raccoon, rabbit, whatever — and then pretend to be that creature for the entire time they wear the suit. Harmless fun? Ask the Buffalo Sabres, who are not used to such strange goings-on up north. In town for a game with the San Jose Sharks on Friday, the Sabres found themselves sharing a hotel with a Furry Convention. Hilarity, and various objectionable smells, ensued. Following the jump is an account of that historic meeting.
Lindy Ruff was the first to see it, as he began to laugh sitting at the front of the bus. Gradually, the rest of the team began to see what caused his reaction.
A horse. Well… a man dressed like a horse, was exiting the hotel lobby.
Soon, a zebra followed the horse. Rather, a woman dressed as a zebra.
As we peered in we could see a few dozen of the creatures walking around the main floor of the hotel – including a polar bear wearing a John Vanbiesbrouck jersey.
Apparently we stumbled onto a mascot convention that was being held at the hotel. The technical term, we soon found, was a “furry” convention.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life, it’s that nothing trumps a polar bear wearing a John Vanbiesbrouck jersey. If one happens to pick up your bag in the lobby by mistake, just let it go, because that bag is gone.
What We Learned: Sabres unleash the Furries; Kesler punked [Puck Daddy]
BTB: Lions, Tigers and … Sharks [Sabres.NHL.com]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found