Jan 27, 2010, 10:00 AM EST
I suppose that the Underpants Bomber and the Pants on the Ground Guy made this inevitable, but it seems that this is the year of people in their skivvies. Just look at these potential Super Bowl commercials, where someone felt that America was ready for lots of underwear-related comedy, and just ran with it. I emphasize that these are potential Super Bowl commercials, because in most cases, the actual ads that will run during the game have not been finalized. Hopefully these will be stopped before it’s too late.
The photo is from a Career Builders.com commercial, shown following the jump with three other ads. Three of the four feature people in their underwear … and not in a good way. The other has Terrell Owens. You have been warned.
From USA Today:
The Super Bowl has always been a catalyst for cultural advertising trends from the sexy to the sophomoric. But these latest commercials are less about being sexy and more about showing everyday — very everyday in some cases — people in their undies. And that, says advertising psychologist Renee White Fraser, is brilliant marketing.
“People love to imagine other people in their underwear,” she says. “It’s a provocative — but safe — way to get viewer attention.”
Not everyone agrees with that.
“I think people just lose their minds when it comes to advertising in or around the Super Bowl — and this is proof of that,” says Barry Schwartz, professor of psychology and social theory at Swarthmore College.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found