Jan 27, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
So the NHL is taking a bit of grief for its official donation to Haiti relief efforts, having chipped in $100,000 when the other major U.S. sports leagues, the NFL, NBA and MLB, all went $1 million each. As our correspondent to the right points out, the NHL’s donation was even topped by a single 7-year-old boy in Britain, who raised $240,000 through a five-mile bike ride around a London park. Charlie Simpson set out to try and raise 500 pounds for Haiti and succeeded beyond anyone’s expectations, with money still rolling in online.
Of course the $100,000 NHL donation doesn’t include money raised by individual NHL teams, efforts which have been substantial and widespread. And it’s my humble opinion that no donation should be sneezed at in the first place. But then what do I know? Charlie Simpson outdonated me as well.
“So shines a good deed in a weary world.” — Willie Wonka.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT …
What you missed while enjoying hot Mormon muffins …
* Saints’ win causes actual print newspapers to be in demand. Weird.
* Figure skater Johnny Weir says he won’t stop wearing fur. Animal rights group: Oh no he din’t!
* You just missed Bob Uecker’s 75th birthday. Tip a pint to him anyway.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Mark meets Moe Howard, and they decide to stalk a college student downtown.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found