Jan 25, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
OK, as you recall from last week, the Yates High (Texas) boys varsity basketball team beat hapless rival Lee High, 170-35, continuing to full-court press and gun up shots all the way through the fourth quarter. This despite leading at halftime, 100-12. This caused somewhat of a controversy, well, everywhere, including the comments section of this blog, where readers were actually challenging other readers to duels. (No word yet on how those turned out).
Now the Yates coach, Greg Wise, is at it again, apparently. Going into its game with Westbury Rebels on Wednesday, Yates had a 12-game streak of scoring 100 or more points. But on Wednesday the streak was in jeopardy. So, despite leading by 30 late in the game, Wise ordered his players to foul immediately on every inbounds play, so that Yates could regain possession quickly and try to make it to 100.
In other words, despite being ahead in a blowout, Wise decided that getting to 100 was more important than winning gracefully. From the Houston Chronicle.
With less than three minutes to go, Peters broke away for a crowd-pleasing, 360-degree dunk to push the Lions’ total to 84.
From that point on, Yates employed a strategy of their own: immediately foul on the inbounds play. Westbury went to the free-throw line seven times in that span, giving the Lions plenty of opportunities to pad their point total to triple-digits, but missed shots and broken plays tripped them up as the clock wound down.
The strategy didn’t work: Yates won 94-64. Westbury tried to slow the tempo, using a lot of passing and patient shot selection to keep it low-scoring; although I assume they use a shot clock in Texas, so I don’t know how you can really slow things that much. Anyway, Yates didn’t appreciate the opposition trying to spoil their streak, and went to the hack-an-anybody strategy.
Next week, Yates High players have to get tough with some girl scouts who are selling cookies a little too close to their territory.
Yates Coach A-Hole Greg Wise Fouls to Hit 100, Misses [Bob's Blitz]
Yates’ 100-point streak ends in win over Westbury [Houston Chronicle]
Texas high school hoops team wins 170-35, most not amused [Out of Bounds]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy