Jan 25, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
By now you’re probably aware of Tiger Woods mistress No. 19 (are we still using ‘alleged’? OK). That’s Emma Rotherham, 42, a native of Britain who lives in Celebration, Fla., and is said to have been the most recent to play through at the Windermere Golf & Infidelity Country Club. I pretty much stopped listing these women at alleged mistress No. 7 or so, but this lady gets special note because of the clever ruse she used to slip past family and friends in order to enjoy her Tiger rendezvous. According to two British tabloids, Rotherham would say that she was “going to take golf lessons from Jose,” when she would really be heading out to meet Tiger for a very different type of activity. Awesome.
And so a future classic euphemism is born. “I’m going to see a man about a horse,” “I going to drop the kids off at the pool,” and “I’m going to take golf lessons from Jose.”
It doesn’t have the style and panache of “Ron Mexico,” but it worked, evidently.
It emerged yesterday that Miss Rotherham was paid more than $500,000 (£300,000) in hush money to keep quiet about their affair.
She is said to have gone ‘absolutely ballistic’ after details of the 18-month fling emerged at the weekend. She had signed a confidentiality agreement after a member of the golfer’s security team handed her a sports bag stuffed with half-a-million dollars in $100 bills.
Now she fears she will be liable for tax in the U.S. over the alleged pay-off.
Miss Rotherham is understood to have visited Woods once a week. She believed at the time that she was his only mistress, although it now appears she was just one of a dirty dozen.
A source told the News of the World: ‘Emma was his most recent mistress. They had a very, very passionate relationship and she has dozens of text messages and emails from him.’
According to News of the World, Tiger so adored Ms Rotherham that he suggested she wear a wedding ring to keep other men at bay.
Tiger Woods’ Brit on the side [News of the World]
Tiger Woods’ British mistress pretended she was having golf lessons from ‘Jose’ to keep their 18-month fling secret [London Daily Mail]
Golf lesson? ‘Jose’ is giving me one [London Sun]
Tiger Woods sex scandal timeline [NBCSports]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Who is the best free agent left on the market?
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?