Jan 23, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
In one of the most ingenious marketing partnerships in recent memory, the Las Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL (East Coast Hockey League) are teaming up with the Girl Scouts of America are teaming up for “Girl Scout Night” on March 12th when the Wranglers take on the Bakersfield Condors.
Girl Scout Night was organized to commemorate the 98th anniversary of the Girl Scouts of America. I guess the Wranglers didn’t want to wait two more years for a nice, round number anniversary. You have to live in the now, I guess.
So, how does a hockey team go about honoring the Girl Scouts? The two organizations seem to be the complete opposites of one another. So, how are the Wranglers going to pull this off? Simple! Wear not-awkward-looking-at-all Girl Scout-inspired jerseys (see above), of course! Duh.The designers of the sweaters have the Girl Scouts uniform right down to the sash.
Via the Girl Scouts Blog, which is incidentally a blog, um, about Girl Scouts:
The Wranglers will be wearing Girl Scout uniform inspired jerseys that will be available for silent auction throughout the game. The Girl Scouts are also offering a special ticket rate of $10 for that night’s game. A portion of the proceeds from the jersey auction and tickets sold by the Girl Scouts benefits the Las Vegas local Girl Scouts of Frontier Council. Other Girl Scout-themed activities are planned throughout the evening.
Awesome. Now, as an added bonus, the commercial promoting the event.
Brilliant. The ideas that minor league teams – in every sport – come up with to market their product are always a treat. But now I have a hankering for a box (or four) of some Trefoils or even better, the aforementioned Do-Si-Dos. Man, I could live on those dang peanut buttery confectionery morsels of tasty gratification. But don’t dare come fronting with any of those Tagalongs disasters. You have to draw the line somewhere, right?
Las Vegas Wranglers will dress like Girl Scouts for ECHL game [Puck Daddy]
Girl Scouting Meets Hockey in Vegas [Girl Scouts Blog]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong