Jan 21, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Think you’re tired of the Tiger Woods saga now? Wait until he finally gets back on a golf course — his former coach speculates that will be at the U.S. Open this summer — and then you’ll realize how great things were back in the nice, peaceful days when he was still in hiding. One man who imagines the terrible, apocalyptic media crush of Tiger’s return to golf is former U.S. Open champ Geoff Ogilvy, who also offers the besieged golfer some advice. Woods, he says, should come out of hiding well in advance of any return to competitive golf, and address the media. There will be some tough questions, but he has to answer them.
(Please imagine him speaking in an Australian accent as you read this).
“I think he should come out away from the golf course,” Ogilvy said. “I think that would be the best thing for him and for every other player and for the tournament. I don’t believe a lot of tournaments want all the tabloid media floating around.”
“The first press conference he does is going to be the crazy one, isn’t it?” said Ogilvy, who won the SBS Championship in Hawaii this month. “A lot people who have been afraid to ask questions for the past 10 or 12 years won’t be quite as hesitant to ask questions as they used to be. And he’s going to have to answer questions.”
Meanwhile, ABC News speculates this morning on the Where’s Waldo nature of the many Tiger Woods media spottings in recent weeks. With so many people so frustrated over not knowing his exact whereabouts, the media feeding frenzy when he does eventually show up will be terrible indeed.
Also, this tweet just in:
All kids born within the last year belong either to Tiger Woods or John Edwards.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3