Jan 20, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
Big trouble in Evansville, Wisconsin, at this hour, as members of the Evansville High School cheerleading squad have had their uniforms banned by the school board because they — forgive me for being so graphic here — expose the girls’ shoulders. The Evansville pom pon squad had been using the same uniforms for four years (they include *gasp* spaghetti straps!), but a new principal took over recently and instituted a more conservative dress code. Cheer uniforms now feature a sweat top with a sturdy zipper which covers every square inch of flesh. It’s about time you covered your clavicals, vile temptresses!
Anyway, links to the old uniform, and the new one, following the jump. You be the judge, and please include with your vote a short paragraph on how the country — or at least so-called middle America — is turning more and more conservative with each passing hour.
Principal Scott Everson, who started in Evansville last fall, has said he responded to comments from the community about poms uniforms. The result was banning a black spaghetti-strap tank top the girls have worn for years and other uniforms that violate the dress code. Everson has said the district would buy two new tops for the girls this year.
He said last month that he and other administrators hoped to get all co-curricular attire aligned with the student dress code, which bans halter tops, tank tops or tops with spaghetti straps that expose the chest, back or midriff.
Parents and students said the poms team was being treated unfairly because uniforms in other sports violate the dress code, show more skin or are tighter to the body, such as wrestlers who wear singlets or cross country members who run in sports bras and short shorts.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found