Jan 19, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Another apparent confirmation that Tiger Woods is currently undergoing sex rehab at a woodsy Mississippi clinic; author Benoit Denizet-Lewis, a recovering sex addict himself, said that someone he knows has confirmed that Woods is at Pine Grove Behavioral Health and Addiction Services in Hattiesburg, Miss. It’s unclear if Denizet-Lewis is a Pine Grove alumnus, but he knows an awful lot about the process. He’s author of the books America Anonymous: Eight Addicts in Search of a Life, and the newly-released American Voyeur. Key quote:
Denizet-Lewis said Woods will likely feel intense shame at first.
Patients sign a “celibacy contract” that bans all sexual contact — including masturbation — while in treatment. Also included in the pricy program are 12-step meetings, arts-therapy sessions and brutal honesty.
As Woody Allen famously said: “Hey, don’t knock masturbation. It’s sex with someone I love.”
“People tend to come in and be pretty freaked out,” Denizet-Lewis said to the New York Daily News. “You arrive, and suddenly it hits you, ‘My God, I’m going to rehab for sex addiction.’ “
“You can put down a drink or a drug and not have to see it for a while,” he said. “But you can’t go anywhere without your genitalia or your brain; those are attached to you.”
Among Woods’ first lessons, Denizet-Lewis said, will be that the oft-questioned addiction to sex is very real.
“We mock or it we say it’s not a real addiction,” said the journalist, who regularly contributes to the New York Times magazine. “But it’s very much the real deal.”
He added that no one should hold onto the “glib perception” that entering rehab for sex addiction is akin to landing a prize invite to an orgy.
“Trust me, you’re not going to score a lot in sex rehab,” he said.
But then, Denizet-Lewis has never met Tiger Woods. The man is an unstoppable force.
Possibly included in Woods’ therapy would be the Labyrinth Treatment, in which patients weave through a walking path set into the floor while praying or reflecting. From News Around the State:
The practice of walking labyrinths has been used in many cultures for over 3,500 years. Though there are many kinds of labyrinths, all share the basic features of one entrance and exit, a single path and a center. Those who walk a labyrinth, including Pine Grove’s patients, may use it for prayer, reflection, or as an opportunity to center themselves for healing.
I wonder if you can bring a caddy.
There have been several reports of Woods checking in to the Pine Grove clinic, including WLBT-TV, and NBC affiliate, and WJTT-TV, both in Hattiesburg, and the gossip site Radar Online. But this is the first credible name attached to such a report
Tiger Woods sex scandal: Golfer being treated for sex addiction at Mississippi rehab, says author [New York Daily News]
Where in the world is Tiger Woods’ libido? [Out of Bounds]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Will bobsled for food
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Does 'Hard Knocks' make sense for Bengals?