Jan 18, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
I wasn’t going to post on this at all, because I consider it the broadcasting equivalent of driving a few feet with your baby in a car seat on the roof of your car. It’s scary, you certainly didn’t mean to do it, and is the kid laughing? By now you may have heard that ESPN’s Mike Greenberg tripped on his long, long tongue and made the most unfortunate of Martin Luther King Day gaffes, apparently saying “Martin Luther Coon Jr.” when he meant “King.”
Here’s the video. Judge for yourself.
Look, it happens so fast — and he corrects himself in the same breath — that one should probably just chalk it up to sun spots, or Monday morning. Irish cop: “Move along folks, show’s over. Nothing to see here.”
But then Greenberg issued a formal apology. Good going Mike; now the thing has weight. you’ve just made a non-story legit. “Gather around folks, show’s just starting. Plenty to see here.”
Greenberg, via ESPN MediaZone:
“I just came home from the Knicks game and found out about the mess that was created by my garbling a sentence on our show this morning; I apologize for not addressing it sooner.
And I’m sorry that my talking too fast — and slurring my words — might have given people who don’t know our show the wrong impression about us, and about me.
I feel horrible about that, because nothing could be further away from who I am and what our show is about.
I would never say anything like that, not in public, or in private, or in the silence of my own mind, and neither would anyone associated with our show, and I’m very sorry that my stumble this morning gave so many people the opposite impression.”
Last paragraph written by Paul Simon.
That Greenberg felt he had to address this is sad; and if ESPN pressured him to do it, that’s sadder. What you’ve got here is a baby in a car seat in the middle of the road, and the baby is unharmed, and even giggling (see: Raising Arizona). Pick up little Nathan Jr. and move on, people.
Debate rages over Mike & Mike’s Mike Greenberg Martin Luther ‘Coon’ moment [Chicago Sun Times Sports Pros(e)]
Mike Greenberg clarification [ESPN MediaZone]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury