Jan 18, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
We take you now to Bruce Township, Michigan, where Mark Morris hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to give visiting Macomb Dakota High a one-point win over Romeo High. In situations like this, of course, it’s always wise to run over to the losing team’s bench and taunt them, and even sit on their bench and elbow the players to rub in the victory. And be sure to do this before the refs leave the court. Oops. Technical foul. Game not over after all, geniuses!
Romeo, which thought it had lost on the 3-pointer in regulation, hit one of two free throws assessed after the game had ended to tie it, and then won in overtime 77-71.
From the Romeo Obsever, via Bob Reno’s Badjocks:
Reports vary, but the jist of the story is after Morris hit his shot he immediately started sprinting in the direction of the Romeo bench.
Fellow players and fans followed and eventually wound up being a little too close and even on the Bulldogs bench.
Words were exchanged and somebody got physical because the officials called a technical foul for excessive celebration on someone from Dakota, giving the Bulldogs two freethrows.
Now, while it is unusual for the referees to call an infraction before or after a game, the simple truth is a game is not officially over until the referee actually leaves the floor. Why, because of situations like Friday.
“I’m not sure if it was an elbow or if somebody threw a punch but the referees felt it was bad enough to make a call,” Romeo Coach Dale Teller said. “I think we were all pretty lucky that it ended right there, it could have gotten real ugly.”
Thomas had a chance to win the game for Romeo, but missed the first shot before making the second to extend the game. Romeo (2-3 overall and 2-0 MAC Red) outscored Dakota 14-8 in the overtime.
So, did Macomb get screwed? When is a basketball game technically over? Where will the next generation of classless taunters come from if refs pull stunts like this?
Romeo wins in overtime after foul called in Dakota game [The Romeo Observer]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead