Jan 17, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
To say that former Major League player Jose Offerman may have some anger management issues would be a major understatement.
Offerman, who spent 15 seasons playing major league baseball, including stops in Los Angeles, Kansas City and Boston, is now the manager for something called Licey in the Dominican League. After getting into a heated dispute with the home plate ump, Offerman moved on to first base umpire Daniel Rayburn. Apparently, Offerman didn’t particularly like what Rayburn had to say because Offerman promptly took a swing at him.
Video after the jump.
That’s it? I understand that any contact, no matter how benign, is a big no-no in baseball, even in the Dominican League. But what kind of punch was that? Further, the ump displayed a flopping ability that is good enough to earn a bench spot and a four-year basketball scholarship at Duke University.
After the display of pugilistic ineptitude, Offerman was taken to an area police station and was being held pending the decision by Rayburn on whether or not he wanted to press charges.
This is not the first time that Offerman’s anger has gotten the best of him during a baseball game. The photo above is from when in 2007, Offerman brandished a bat and attacked an opposing player during a minor league game in the independent Atlantic League. Here’s how that situation played out:
In the first inning, Offerman hit a home run off Matt Beech. In the second, with an 0-1 count against Offerman, Beech hit him with a fastball.
Offerman, bat in hand, charged the mound. John Nathans, the Bridgeport catcher, raced after him. Offerman swung the bat at Beech, but before it could hit Beech, the backswing hit Nathans on the head. The forward swing broke the middle finger of Beech’s right hand (he throws left-handed).
Nathans and Beech were treated at a hospital and released. Nick Razzette, a spokesman for the Bluefish, said Nathans sustained a concussion.
For his senseless attack, Offerman was given probation for the attack and ordered to get treated for anger management in 2007.
I’m going to go out on a limb here and speculate that the anger management counseling didn’t take.
Ex-big leaguer Offerman punches umpire in D.R.[SI/AP]
Baseball: Offerman charged after hitting 2 foes with bat [The New York Times]
Jose Offerman’s bat attack brings lawsuit [USA Today]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights