Jan 14, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
Is Tiger Woods at this hour piloting a cargo plane full of relief supplies to earthquake-ravaged Haiti? “We don’t have time to land!” shouts Woods, over the roar of the engines. “Help me strap on this parachute! Just throw the penicillin and canned food after me!” So either Woods is coming out of hiding with a grand, sweeping philanthropic gesture, or an experienced promoter is just using his name to drum up charity support. Either way, it’s pretty interesting. Rap mogul Russell Simmons is saying — to anyone who will listen — that Woods is considering a $3 million gift to Haiti earthquake relief, which includes a mobile hospital setup. Awesome, and a bit surprising, if true. But is it true?
Just look at Simmons’ Twitter account, which is crackling with activity and throwing around Woods’ name with abandon.
I heard tiger woods donating to send a cargo plane with a mobile hospital out there. Keep ur prayers high! about 21 hours ago from UberTwitter
Tiger woods is doing something AMAZING!!!! about 21 hours ago from UberTwitter
From the New York Daily News:
“Tiger Woods is working on sending a mobile hospital with 50 EMTs to go set up a triage,” Simmons said Wednesday night.
Simmons and representatives from Wyclef Jean’s Haitian relief organization Yele have asked Woods to support the effort. Simmons spokesman has been in touch with Woods managment team and they are “excited” about the idea.
“I am waiting to have the conversation [with Tiger] tomorrow morning,” Simmons’ spokesman Marcus Harris said. “I am hopeful that it is a yes.”
“I am just asking for his heart and his hand,” he said. “Just to meet the needs of the people.”
Simmons said he is also trying to put together several big names in the hip hop community to produce a song for the country; a We Are The World for Haiti, so to speak.
At least one blog, SportsbyBrooks, is skeptical of the whole thing.
So we’ve gone from “Tiger is” to “Tiger is considering” helping out in the Haitian relief effort. Sounds a little like Simmons might’ve jumped the gun. Especially considering that Woods reps have been silent. If he was going to do such a thing, don’t you think they’d be trumpeting his good deed?
One thing is clear: Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have already donated $1 million to the relief effort. Your move, Tiger.
Here’s one way you can help.
Wyclef Jean Haiti relief group Yele may get $3M donation from Tiger Woods [New York Daily News]
Tiger’s Haiti Relief: Bait And Switch Or Real Thing? [SportsbyBrooks]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?