Jan 14, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
Fun fact: The Washington Capitals came very close to being named the Washington Cosmos when they entered the NHL in 1974, which would have made an astronaut the perfect mascot. That name was ultimately rejected, but more than thirty years later an intrepid fan tapped into that space themed energy and invented the Capstronaut; the NHL’s oddest, most entertaining fan. Where did he come from? Why an astronaut suit? Why hasn’t Capitals’ security banned him from the Verizon Center? How does he pee? These are all good questions, for which I have no answers.
Fortunately though, Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Bog actually interviewed the Capstronaut! His findings follow the jump, plus a video produced by the Caps organization in which they embrace the Capstronaut, and give him his own song. I feel so at one with the universe right now.
The Capstronaut (real name unknown) is a D.C.-area man who switched over to the Caps after becoming disenfranchised by the Redskins, according to D.C. Sports Bog. One day he just decided to purchase an astronaut suit and show up at a game, and the rest is very weird history. To their credit, the Capitals’ recognized a good thing when they saw it, and embraced the wackiness.
From D.C. Sports Bog:
“You go out and buy an astronaut suit and you go to a hockey game, and you can’t really be certain how it’s gonna go,” the Capstronaut told me on Thursday. “I thought security might take me down, but I think they’ve seen it all there. You know, you show up enough times dressed as an astronaut, everybody kind of gets comfortable with you.”
Yes, I’ve said that many times.
The Capstronaut is everywhere these days, even showing up in the owner’s box, and in this Caps Kids Rap video (he shows up at about the 2:00 mark).
God bless America. God bless the Capstronaut.
Introducing the Capstronaut [Capitals.NHL.TV]
About that Capstronaut [DC Sports Bog]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Play Video: LeBron: 'I just made a layup'
- Play Video: Vikings enhance home-field advantage
- Play Video: Monaco Grand Prix is like no other
- Play Video: Kerr: LeBron vs. Jordan comes down to rings
- Play Video: Soft and supersoft tires being used in Monaco
- Play Video: Sens' coach refuses to take questions