Jan 13, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Remember the scene in Tremors, when they go into Michael Gross’ basement and there’s a gigantic weapons arsenal there? Welcome to Gilbert Arenas’ house. At least that’s the way it used to look when he owned “hundreds of guns,” as he admitted to investigators recently in a probe into weapons charges against the Washington Wizards star. It’s unclear if Arenas still owns enough firepower to take the Falklands from the British, but he did at one time, according to WTOP radio in Washington D.C.
Meanwhile, TMZ is reporting that Arenas’ lawyers are discussing a plea deal in which Arenas would admit to misdemeanor gun charges. That could come as early as today.
Arenas said all of his guns were legally owned, and he moved most of them out of his house before the incident at the Verizon Center, where he is said to have left four of them in front of the locker of teammate Javaris Crittenton. Investigators are saying that the guns were left there following a dispute bertween the two players over a card game. Arenas was suspended indefinitely by the NBA last week. From WTOP:
The guns turned over to police include a so-called ‘Dirty Harry Revolver’ and a gold-plated Desert Eagle — which is so big and has such a powerful recoil — no law enforcement agency uses them.
Our sources say Arenas’ lawyer and prosecutors are discussing a plea in which Arenas would cop to misdemeanor gun charges. We’re told a deal hasn’t been struck yet, but it could come as early as today.
Sources say the filing of charges would coincide with the plea, so it would all go down quickly. We do not know what they are discussing with respect to a sentence … the prosecutor would recommend a sentence but ultimately it’s the judge’s decision.
Meanwhile, Charles Barkley weighed in on Dan LaBatard’s Miami radio show:
“Should (Arenas) be penalized for doing something stupid? Of course, but I’m worried about the Wizards who are a horrible organization using this to save money. Gilbert Arenas did something really dumb and really stupid and I think David Stern, who is the best commissioner, has the right to suspend him but this notion that Gilbert Arenas should be kicked out of the league and lose 90 million dollars or be suspended for the whole year, I think it’s really easy for sportswriters to say that. Most of them are only making 50 to 100 thousand dollars per year. I think it’s really easy to give away somebody else’s 90 million dollars. Gilbert Arenas was wrong, but anybody who thinks this is a 90 million dollar penalty is an idiot and that goes for anybody.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming