Jan 11, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Oh, to be able to listen in on this monumental conversation. I think that the following tweet sums it up pretty nicely: George W. Bush is sitting by Emmitt Smith at the Cowboys/Eagles game. English is splashing cold water on its face and muttering, “Man up”.
President Bush is explaining how he and Laura are going to see that new 3D movie, Avalon, after the game. Emmitt is saying how “leadership definitely has to come from the leaders.” Jim from The Office is looking on, quizzically. Birds slam into the owner’s box window out of sheer confusion. Space and time suddenly stop. Thank you, NBC.
Note: This probably isn’t the first time Bush and Smith have met. Both are on the board of the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee (the 2011 Super Bowl will be played in Arlington).
And anyway, all of the above is wrong. Here’s an excerpt from the actual conversation.
BUSH: I read your paper, Emmitt, and here’s where you slip up. Quarks are never found in isolation; they can only be found within hadrons. Have you forgotten about the phenomenon of color confinement?
SMITH: But what about particle decay? Up and down quarks are generally stable, but top and bottom quarks can only be produced in high energy collisions, such as with particle accelerators.
BUSH: There you go again. The quark is a physical entity, not an abstraction to be used to explain other concepts and theories.
SMITH: I swear, you quote Murray Gell-Mann so often, you should start wearing a tweed jacket.
VENDOR: Nachos, gentlemen?
Photo: NBC Sports.
The Emmitt Smith Anthology [Walter Football]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful