When GW Bush met Emmitt Smith; a conversation for the ages

Jan 11, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT

Oh, to be able to listen in on this monumental conversation. I think that the following tweet sums it up pretty nicely: George W. Bush is sitting by Emmitt Smith at the Cowboys/Eagles game. English is splashing cold water on its face and muttering, “Man up”.
President Bush is explaining how he and Laura are going to see that new 3D movie, Avalon, after the game. Emmitt is saying how “leadership definitely has to come from the leaders.” Jim from The Office is looking on, quizzically. Birds slam into the owner’s box window out of sheer confusion. Space and time suddenly stop. Thank you, NBC.

Note: This probably isn’t the first time Bush and Smith have met. Both are on the board of the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee (the 2011 Super Bowl will be played in Arlington).
And anyway, all of the above is wrong. Here’s an excerpt from the actual conversation.
BUSH: I read your paper, Emmitt, and here’s where you slip up. Quarks are never found in isolation; they can only be found within hadrons. Have you forgotten about the phenomenon of color confinement?
SMITH: But what about particle decay? Up and down quarks are generally stable, but top and bottom quarks can only be produced in high energy collisions, such as with particle accelerators.
BUSH: There you go again. The quark is a physical entity, not an abstraction to be used to explain other concepts and theories.
SMITH: I swear, you quote Murray Gell-Mann so often, you should start wearing a tweed jacket.
VENDOR: Nachos, gentlemen?
Photo: NBC Sports.
***
Bushisms [About.com]
The Emmitt Smith Anthology [Walter Football]

1. squints - Jan 11, 2010 at 7:16 PM

NBC…Get a life.

2. Go SD - Jan 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM

No news here…Keep moving…Thank You.

3. Lisa - Jan 11, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Well…it made me laugh! :)

4. Adam - Jan 11, 2010 at 8:23 PM

This guy gets paid good money to write this article. Hey NBC, My first grader is available to write your next article

5. Jim Jim - Jan 11, 2010 at 8:23 PM

WOW, someone is bitter. What’s the next “news” story? How about how bad their feet smell?

6. Jim - Jan 11, 2010 at 8:32 PM

WOW, someone is bitter. Whats the next “news story”, their feet smell?

7. Jay D - Jan 11, 2010 at 10:20 PM

You guys are lame as hell… Get over your love affair with all things Republican. That little article was funny as heck! You know you laughed – because we’ve all heard them both butcher, beyond recognition, the English language! “Is” there an “are” in the building, ’cause neither of these guys know when to use them!

8. Jason - Jan 11, 2010 at 10:21 PM

what a surprise, NBC runs a let’s-make-fun-of-Bush article. there’s never any substance to Bush-hating arguments and there’s never any substance to NBC. who are they owned by again? Oh yeah, Obama.

9. Chandler's Jiminy Cricket - Jan 11, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Chandler. Stop shaming NBC. NOW.

10. Rwilson - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Wow. I had no idea this article would spark a raw nerve of the right wing. Why do conservatives bend over backward to defend a moron that lied and showed utter gross incompetence setting this country back untold years?
    Pride in ignorance is a dangerous place to live. Oh, forgot, it’s called red-middle America! Save your bullets, burn your books, but do NOT insult the DUB!!!

11. Josh - Jan 12, 2010 at 2:00 AM

I don’t think the point here is to defend Bush, it’s that NBC is clearly trying to hard. To borrow (and tweak) from an NBC legend: I’m not offended as a conservative; I’m offended as someone who likes comedy.
    This is just the same of trite – make fun of the other side at every opportunity and at all cost – sort of thing that has most of America turned off by all things political. It’s why more young people watch Jon Stewart than Brian Williams. If you are going to fully embrace cynicism, you should at least make it funny.

12. H-Dog - Jan 12, 2010 at 2:02 AM

Hilarious! Laugh out LOUD funny cause it is TRUE!

13. Mike - Jan 12, 2010 at 6:40 AM

What Josh said.
    This is really stupid. I really wish I had more GE stock to sell, but then again maybe I should short some.

14. Devo - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Nice attempt at Big Bang Theory humor. Weak.

15. KimG - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Um, so where is the conversation? Where is the news? How can you bomb a GWBush “joke”?

16. Navybat - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Rwilson, I guess conservatives “bend over backwards to defend a moron who lied and showed utter incompetence” (your words only, since I don’t think Bush is a moron, or lied, or showed incompetence) for the same reason you left wing losers bent over backwards to defend CLINTON, who LIED (“I did not have sexual relations with that woman…” and “it depends on what the definition of “is” is…) He’s a public liar and adulterer–not for interpretation, either. This is a proven FACT. And he set this country terribly backwards (retreating from Somalia and emboldening Osama Bin Laden to attack us–per Osama’s OWN WORDS). Now we’re in a years-long war which Clinton could have prevented if he had just stuck out a few more WEEKS in Somalia and defeated our enemies. OBL stated how we (Americans) don’t have the stomach to take losses (shown by Clinton) and he set off on his Jihad. How soon you liberals “forget” your own past in your attempts to deny conservatives their own right to speak.
    I think this article is funny, in the same way I think articles like this about Clinton are funny–although you don’t see THOSE on MSNBC. It’s about FUN. Don’t think the conservatives are all up in a bunch. Your pathetic post attacking them shows your shortsightedness and reveals your hypocrisy!

17. Navybat - Jan 12, 2010 at 9:39 AM

18. FtWorth817 - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I think Osama was embolden by us when Reagan put his tail between his legs and snuck out of Lebanon after all those Marines were killed by a suicide bomber. Way to go Ronnie Raygun, you coward.

19. cowboyzD - Jan 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Put Desean Jackson up there with them and that would be real interesting…

20. Chris - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Can you leave the former President and one of the greatest backs in history to enjoy a football game together in peace?…..Lord knows they’ve accomplished more than you despite their malapropisms and manglings of proper English. Have some respect for their accomplpishments and add some whit to the gab.

21. kcmookie - Jan 12, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Why oh why am I always drawn back into the political fray? Navybat your RANT against Rwilson actually proves his point. You go out of your way to criticize his post and speak of hypocrisy, but do not use his own words in any way to prove your point. You simply blanket him with generalizations in an attempt to discredit his point, and instead you prove his point. Your post only shows just how tainted someone’s perception is by their political views. Bush repeatedly butchered the English language and often embarrassed our nation from the highest political office, to me, that would make him a moron and call into question his competence. Repeated statements abotu WMD’s that didn’t exist, and repeatedly seeking only info that supported their already twisted assumptions about Iraq, and then spoon-feeding it to the public through the media shows a concerted effort to mislead and easily qualifies for being a ‘liar’. Fine, Clinton got cuaght with his pants down, how does that impact us today? It does not, but I have a feeling Bush’s legacy if incompetence and mismanagement will have a lasting impact on our society for years to come. You can deny it all you want, but as you said or implied, facts are facts, regardless of what YOUR preception might be.

22. ben - Jan 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Lisa,
    It made me laugh also. Ben

23. Vee - Jan 12, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Repub or Dem matters not – weak humor is weak humor.
    I’ve seen good humor, I know good humor. And this, sir is not good humor.

24. spike - Jan 12, 2010 at 6:27 PM

navybat
    you sir are a REAL moron…
    i’m from Austin tx and have seen first hand what W did to both my state and our country! I told everyone I knew from other parts of texas not to vote for him. He had no clue as to what was going on around him (see Ronald Reagen,Daddy Bush,etc..).Anywayyyy…The Bush family is friends with Osamas’ family. And you say Clinton let him off???? Yes you truly are a moron !! But of course in your line of thought there never were any arms for hostages, and no sweetheart deals for Haliburton (no bid contracts? come on?). Also W never could string a sentence together without messing up a least a couple of words. Everyone knows Cheney, and Nancy before him were running this country!